Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an Echo Trout Spey 4wt 11’.

Will be mostly fishing here in SW Montana. Mostly on the Madison, Yellowstone and Missouri. I’m also attending the Sandy Spey Clave in May. Hoping to fish the Sandy for a day or two.. I’m interested in the Intergrated lines like the Commando Smooth or the SA Skagit Spey lite / intermediate.

Has anyone casted either lines ?

For May conditions on the Sandy, would you suggest a floating or sinking line?

·
Registered
482 Posts
hey now ,
i use a commando head on my 3wt echo sr with the opst lazer line . if i was to purchase another one i might go with the integrated line . it wasn't available when i lined the rod . i use that setup about half the time in the summer for trout and smallies . works great !
good luck !
thanks , jim

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you are looking to try some heads I can send you some to try. I don't have anything integrated but if you want to try out the following Id be willing to help.

Rio Skagit Short G1 325g 20'. Might be too much head.
OPST 250g 13' 6"
OPST 275g 13' 6"
OPST 300g 15'
OPST 325g 15'

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I briefly owned a Spey Lite integrated Skagit (floating version). It was the 12' 210 grn. Only reason I sent it back was because it was a little heavier than I wanted for my single handers and lighter than I wanted for my switches. But is was a very nice line. Compared to my OPST head and Rio Skagit Trout Max head the Spey Lite was in between in terms of grains per foot. The Rio Skagit Max packs all the grains into 11' where as the OPST's a little longer for the same grains.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm able to get a good price on the Spey Lite line with the additions tips. I think i might go this route for now and see how I like it.

·
no expectations
87 Posts
Once you get the grain weight dialed in, i really dig the SA spey lite lines. I have both the integrated and shooting head versions and liked both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fished Smooth Commando 300 gr on Hydrogen 4 TH 4 times now on CO River. Integrated line is big improvement in and out of guides is much better and running line has way less memory issues than lazar line. Less effort on casts for same distance. Won't go back.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've wondered how the integrated lines do in shooting line with a lighter head weight?
I ran into that problem with the switch chucker, I couldn’t believe the size of the running line on the 4 wt line. Way to big for a lite line and losing distance for sure. I may cut it off and splice a thinner diameter runner to it or just sell it. Pretty bad on Rio’s part on thinking that one out! Small lite line = thin running line!!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I like my Snowbee switch line in 4 wt.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I ran into that problem with the switch chucker, I couldn’t believe the size of the running line on the 4 wt line. Way to big for a lite line and losing distance for sure. I may cut it off and splice a thinner diameter runner to it or just sell it. Pretty bad on Rio’s part on thinking that one out! Small lite line = thin running line!!!
You are talking about the “handling” part of the shooting line, I believe, but the rest isn’t too thin either. The beginning of the running line right next to the head is INTENTIONALLY thicker. This was added to help with mending if you want nymph or indicator fish with it. *cringe* It’s a stupid line that does many things in a mediocre way with a single line, but this line apparently still sells well to people who want to be able to do many things in a mediocre way with a single line. So it’s a nitche line that sells well to people who buy into the premise. But you really can’t criticize Rio for it working as intended and advertised. But not a line to use if you want to cast farther. But strip away the handling section and the integrated running line and you have nothing other than a glorified skagit head. One of those may fit the bill better for you ... and leave the chucker for the huge crowd of people who keep buying them.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You are talking about the “handling” part of the shooting line, I believe, but the rest isn’t too thin either. The beginning of the running line right next to the head is INTENTIONALLY thicker. This was added to help with mending if you want nymph or indicator fish with it. *cringe* It’s a stupid line that does many things in a mediocre way with a single line, but this line apparently still sells well to people who want to be able to do many things in a mediocre way with a single line. So it’s a nitche line that sells well to people who buy into the premise. But you really can’t criticize Rio for it working as intended and advertised. But not a line to use if you want to cast farther. But strip away the handling section and the integrated running line and you have nothing other than a glorified skagit head. One of those may fit the bill better for you ... and leave the chucker for the huge crowd of people who keep buying them.
Yes I bought this line because I heard a lot about it and thought it would be good for Schoolie stripers something that I could strip in all the way to the head without a handshake loop. I rarely use this line I think I’ve only used it twice so I might as well just sell it. My all-time favorite universal line would be SGS Skandit!

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Just got mine yesterday and gave it a run or two with the 300 Scout and 10' of T8 pretty well. In fact, it was a bit much for the water I was fishing. Wanted a lot more line. Gonna be perf for a windy day on the Mo, though. If you go integrated, I stay in that grain window.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts