Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had CND Custom 13 ft. 7/8 wt. rod for a couple of months now and based on recommendations from others in this forum, including lots of other threads, I lined the rod with Rio's Midspey 7/8. After spending considerable "practice" hours on the river with the rod and that line I came to the conclusion that I don't particularly like that line for this rod.

I am not a beginner, but I am certainly in the novice spey caster category. I am not able to get much into the butt section with the midspey line. I wonder at my present skill level if I would more pleased with the Rio WC 7/8/9 or one of Courtland's SL lines? If I go with the WC line, is the 7/8/9 the best choice? Or, should I go a step heavier?

I do have experience with the WC line on a Diamondback 15' 10 wt. and I love it. The CND 13' rod will be used mostly on the Rogue, Klamath, and Deschutes for summer steelhead.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hi Shortstrike,

My personal preference (thus my recommendation) is the 6/7 midspey, not the 7/8 - but it certainly can handle the 7/8 for those who like a deeper load. That rod has been very popular for summer runs and I know several guys who love the 6/7 mid on it as well as I do.

For a shorter head I like the Windcutter 6/7/8 for that rod. It's somewhat easier to cast but requires that you start from no further than the back taper of the head each time or else there's just not enough grains / diameter to turn the thing over using the running line. It's predictable that way once you find the stroke though, and versatile with sintips, etc.

They're both very good lines for this model, but anything in the grain / length range will work.

The triangle taper spey from Wulff is also a great line for that rod. On the other end of the spectrum we tried the 6/7 XLT on it and it performed wonderfully with that line up to about 80' of the head, really loaded nice but the whole 95 ft XLT head was too much and it got "dumpy". I haven't tried all that many lines on it, the first two mentioned cover everything I need in fishing situations so I've had to curtail my already exploding line budget.

That rod has a lot of reserve power and some guys like to load it deep. I prefer to use a line that provides a light touch and the ability to single spey from both sides with an easy lift and d-loop. One owner I know was recently booming out long casts on a huge river with it using a much heavier grain line and a tip. I had a heck of a time with his setup, to me it was overloaded. I asked that person to single spey the setup and he couldn't (too heavy), but it sure snap-t'ed like a freight train, covering water that I would typically fish with a much bigger gun that the 1307.

If your local flyshop has a 6/7 mid tester I'd give it a go. I'd send you one to try but it wouldn't be until after October that I could live without it ;)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
CND CUSTOM

I have had the chance to cast this rod earlier this year and felt it was an excellent rod. I will admit it took me a little while to get used to casting it though. I am more at home casting some of the more traditional spey rods like the Sage 7136 and the 9140. The CND custom rods seem to have a lot of power in reserve and have a very quick recovery in the tip section on the forward stroke without sacrificing any feeling in the rod. Before giving up on that rod and line combination you may want to give it another go and try a few different things to make it load deeper and cast farther. I am assuming that is what you are after? The two things I would try would be pulling the head of the line into the rod 1-3' to get it to load a little deeper. Also try alternating the speed and timing of where you are applying power during the forward stroke of the cast. If all else fails you may want to see if you can borrow and couple of different lines to see which one feels the best for the type and style of casting that you prefer to do. Good Luck and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome

Since this is your first post, welcome to the board.

There was even a 7/8 XLT tried on this rod at the Sandy Clave. It worked out to 70-80 feet, then it was too heavy - understandable.

See if you can borrow a few lines from board members near you, or take the rod to one of the claves. (There are a number of members in CA.) There will be a lot of lines to try and you should be able to find something that fits for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all, thanks for the great responses.

Juro, your suggestion to move to a lighter line seems almost counter intuitive to me. Here I am having trouble getting out the 7/8 weight (rod not loading - I think) and your favorite for this rod is a 6/7 weight.

I think I am beginning (slowly) to understand some of the different issues that are specific to two-handed rods. Your discussion of the snap-t versus the single spey also caused me to think a little differently about how these rods work.

I think for now, I will try the Windcutter 6/7/8 and use it as you and Leland suggest. I will still keep the Midspey on a spool and will practice with it from time to time. However, for now, the summer steelhead are here (there).

ChromeFever, thanks for your insight. I will keep the line and continue to work with it. I think given enough time and plenty of practice I will get to like the Midspey line. I really like the rod and look foward to attending on of the claves and trying some different combinations.

Ted, thanks for the welcome. Even though this is my first post, I have been a lurker here for about six months. This board seems to have it all: nice folks, great information, and no junk. I look forward to contributing in the future

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Thanks for the response, yes you're right this place is great because of the people who hang out here.

Maybe our differences in preferences come from the length of line we are each using. Perhaps you are not stripping the whole head (approx 65') out of the reel and so you have less grains workin for you - where I generally do put out the whole head? I don't know.

In any case welcome to the speyclave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts