Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 13'1" Beulah Onyx 6 wt. rod and am looking at buying a Hardy Bougle 4" reel to pair with it. Any thoughts pro or con on that reel choice?

Assuming I go with it, I would appreciate line recc'ds. I am relatively new to spey casting, and currently have skagit heads on my 7 and 8 wt. rods.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good advice above. Beulah should point you in the right direction on lines. Regarding reel, I have a 4" Bougle mkvi that I have fished on 12'6" 6wts to 13'4" 7wts and it performed well on all. So, I think it will balance well. It has great capacity and fairly light for it's size. Sounds great with a fish and mine came with a fair amount of mojo!

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Suggest you do a search on the Bougle, it may be on the heavy side for that rod. I had one for a while and it was too heavy for my Beulah 7132.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Willa,

Put a similar weight reel on your rod and see how YOU like it. Or take another, lighter reel and start taping junk on it till you hit the same weight as the Bougle, then see how you like it. 2x the recommendation on line recommendations from the Beulah website. Bruce has put a bunch of time and thought into it. Also, per Bruce Berry's comments, Tonic V2 heads feel heavier than the listed weights..........but are awesome! Tonics are my favorite floating skagits, can even single spey them if you play your cards right.

CT

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have this exact set up. I enjoy casting this rod more than any other rod I have ever cast and that includes Sage, Winston and Meiser.

The lines I like best on the rod are first the 6/7 Beulah Aerohead. This line and rod were made for each other. A fantastic paring. The only thing I don, t like about the Aerohead is the color.

Fo Skagit lines that I''ve tried I liked the Wulff Ambush 360 gr. Much lighter than what Beulah recommends but it cast much better for me than the heavier weights.

Other lines that I had available to try that worked well but not as well as the two above were a 360 wt Rio Scandi and a 390 wt Airflo Rage.

For the Bougle, I used 200 yards of 30 lb backing and 100 ft of Rio Slickshooter. This makes it just slightly too heavy and I might have to strip off 50-100 ft of the backing to get the reel to balance better on the rod.

Overall though, I'm just giddy with this combo. Easily the most plesant casting rod I've ever had in my hands. Especially with that Beulah Aerohead. It's a Zen experience the way the rod, line and me blend into a single entity working in complete harmony. Can you tell I love it?

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Good thread to read, even though I don't own an Onyx, yet. I have one more comment, spurred by GusG's comment that the 360 gr Ambush he likes so well is far lighter than the recommendations for the rod--those 360 grains are concentrated into a shorter length than any of the standard heads in the recs. It is the same principle as the OPST Commando heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts