Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the day fishing this rod on the Salmon River today. I have it lined with a Rio Midspey 8/9. I find it casts well up to 60 ft but once I try to throw the whole head my cast collapses. Is this my lack of casting abilty or is the whole head too much weight ? When I was setting it up I was torn between the 8/9 and the 7/8 but was told that the 8/9 would be a better choice for a less experienced caster. Any input would be helpful.

Gillie

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Gillie...

Your setup is in agreement with Simon's (Rio) line recommendation which I have found to be pretty much right on the money. You don't say if it's 60' of line past the tip top or 60' total counting rod and leader but if it's 60' out of the tip that's putting your fly out around 80'+ which with a 12'6" rod doesn't seem all that bad.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is probably 60 ft out of the rod tip counting the leader. That raises the question of how most people guage casting distance. Do you measure from the end of rod tip or from where you are standing ? If it's from standing I guess that would add up to ~72 ft. I have always assumed it was from the rod tip.

J

·
0 Posts
I always refer to it as "belly button-to-fly." Therefore, a one hundred foot cast would usually mean you've cast about 70' of flyline. That allows for a 15' leader and 15' of rod length. I'm not sure at all if this is a common practice when people designate casting lengths, but it seems the most practical to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts