Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question concerning line weight -my rod, a T&T 1409-5 was the 4th rod made in Nov. of "99" (I'm not sure what that means) I let my buddy cast it ,who is an avid spey fisherman and he said it was a proto- type and that it has a slightly slower action than a 1409-5 made say, yesterday, the guy at the local fly shop said to use the 9/10/11 Rio windcutter but, my buddy who I beleive has alot more experience than the guy at "the fly shop" said that with the slower action I should use the WC 8/9/10- I'm a little hesitant to buy the line now because I don't want to drop $150.00 on a line that won't work for me. I understand that the 1409-5's made recently do have a really fast action but will a step up or down really make that huge of a difference? -Flyboy :confused: :confused:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Not to take anything away from you friends spey experience, while the 8/9/10 line might best suit your buddy it may not suit you. Ask you local fly shop for a couple of demo lines in the two line weights in question. Try them both to see which line weight best suits your ability and casting style. No one can really answer your question about which line weight is best for you and that rod but you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MJC, Good call, the only problem is I don't think "the fly shop" has many demo lines available to try- where I live it's predominately one handed rods and I'm trying to expand my horizons. I can appreciate the "Different strokes" thing. Can i ask them to open up a new line? - Flyboy

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Flyboy,

The Windcutter 8/9/10 is the Windcutter I like on the 1409. The 9/10/11 will slightly overload the rod and slow it down a little as a result. Which one of these for you to use depends on how you like to feel a rod load. If you like to feel a deeper load in the rod, use the 9/10/11; if you like a more moderate load with a crisper action and feel, use the 8/9/10. Remember that T&T uses a single line designation with their 2-hand rods and that the line designation used is like the higher of the more common 2-line designation of most other manufacturers. Therefore, the 1409 would be called an 8/9 be most rod makers.

Also, I've cast both the older 1409-5 and one that was just made this past spring and there is virtually no difference between them. The rod is one of the fastest 14' 9wt (8/9) rods on the market and always has been.

I am curious though as to how do you know that it was the 4th one made in Nov. 1999? Seems to me that the 1409-5 became available to anglers around November or December of 1999 so I would be surprised if your rod was a prototype and not a production rod.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For what good it might be...

I have the T&T 1409/3, vintage about 2000, and love the SA XLT 8/9 on that rod.

WY

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flytyer,
The designation was in the serial # 119004 I picked it up used online, so i called T&T and I talked to a guy there that told me that 11 is for Nov. the 9 for 99 and the 004 for 4th rod built that year. The wraps are what I noticed were different about the rod Immediately, they had green thread but with red accents I have three other T&T's and they all have silver accents , and my friend Ricardo Nunez has a two handed T&T with silver accents, He's the one that told it maybe a proto-type- Ricardo has cast a few T&T's and said it felt different , thats why i had apprehensionabout a line, but i completely agree that whats good for one guy might not be for another!! Like i said this style of fishing/casting in relatively new to me.

TL- Flyboy :Eyecrazy:

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Well I know Mark Bachmann @ flyfishusa.com has rental lines at very reasonable prices. I also have them and I think maybe Aaron @ speyshop.com does also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MJC,
As usual, I expect a wealth of info and opinions- I appreciate the links I will definetely check those out . It would be nice to rent before i buy!!

Flyboy

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
My T&T 1409 has green threads with red accents and was purchased in 2002. I doubt yours is a proto. That being said my favorite line is the old long delta 10/11( or the new 9/10) or the carron 10/11. The carron flies on this rod. I would have to say I feel this rod is more of a true 9 like it is designated. The best 14' 9wt casting rod on the market IMHO.

-sean

·
Registered
869 Posts
This rod cast very well for me at 60-80' lengths with the mid spey 9/10. the windcutter line of my choice would be the 8/9/10 especially if you are using tips or sinking leaders. i,m not sure they made that rod in 99' , i thought the 5 piece models came out in 02'. none of my serial numbers make any sense with that date formula you reported. originally they had a two part number with a - in between, then they went to one longer number. my newest rod from last month has a 121227 number which doesn't make any date in october jibe. anyhow one hellofa nice rod.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
T&T 1409 - 5 piece

T&T's 1409-3 is my most fished rod. It casts well with the WC 8.9.10 or 9.10.11.

The T&T 1409 - 5 is noticeably slower than the -3, and it is possible someone without a lot of T&T time attributed the difference to prototype status.

The state of spey line marketing today allows you to try before you buy. MJC's advice is excellent.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Line

Hi Bob, Have been casting that rod a lot lately. Lines which mfg do you feel the most loyal towards? RIO, 8/9/10 Windcutter, Airflow Long Delta 8/9 or 9/10 an old Mastery Spey 8/9, Snowbee 9/10 2d and 3d. Anything that is 585-600 grains. You will love it,
Leroy....................................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts