Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my hands on a 15 10/11-3 and wondering about line choices for it. Anybody still fish one of these?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I liked it with the 9/10 short- and mid-belly lines; but then again I like a stiffer and faster recovering rod than many. If you want to feel more of a load or slow the rod down to a more moderate one and have it bend to the middle of the blank nearly all the time, use the same lines in 10/11.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Batson just sent me an email saying that 650 grains is the place to start with this rod, all dependant on my casting stroke. I was thinking that I wanted to use this rod as a long belly set up, with an XLT or grand spey, any thoughts out there? thanks

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
For long-belly lines on this rod, I'd drop down in size to one of the new GS 8/9's, the new XLT2 #9, or the CND 8/9. However, I will caution you to see if you can get to test cast it first with one of the 8/9 long-bellies to make sure it casts it OK and doesn't get overloaded by the line. I offer this caution only because the Bateson 2-handers were not designed with long-belly casting in mind.

If it feels overloaded by the 8/9 long-belly, drop to a 7/8 long-belly. I would be surprised, however, if any of the new 8/9 long-bellies didn't work well on this rod.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, very cool thank you. I have MJC at Red Shed sending me a test line to try out on it. I've been having trouble finding info about this rod. Even Batson only told me that the starting weight for the line should be about 650 grains. It's so difficult to decypher what "stiff". "fast", Euro", "Traditional" means with these spey rods. I've had 2 now and didn't really like either of them that much, both where sold and now I have 2 more coming at the same time!! The $$ is getting to be a little silly, I enjoy fooling around trying to get things to work, but I like to just go fishing too. Thanks for the info, and any other you have about this RXF would be great.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Unfotunately, you are right about the difficulty in decyphering stiff, fast, Euro, traditional, etc. mean when it comes to 2-handers. Much of this problem comes from manufacturers and others using the old very soft, bend to the cork, slower recovering 2-handers as the benchmark to decide on fast, slow, medium, etc. When you compare a moderately stiff rod with medium recovery that bends to the middle of the blank on most casts to one of them, it comes out as a rather fast and stiff rod.

I personally would much prefer to see stiffness, recovery rate from bending, and how far down the blank the rod bends under normal casting be used because it would allow you to better compare your own preferences to the rod in question and to compare one rod to another on those same dimensions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaaahhh, got some info from a true expert. Bob Meiser kindly returned my email and said that he had used this rod with Carron 85' 11/12, old XLT 9/10 and CND 11/12 all about 1000-1100 grains. That sounds more like it for a 11 rod. Gotta get it built now and try something out, thanks Bob!!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I've got you close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts