Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my lines (old xlt and orvis long belly) have long, 15-20', rear tapers. But, most have very short 3-5' tapers (windcutters, mid-spey, delta, delta long, etc.). I have heard that you need the long tapers with the extended long belly lines, but I don't see how that is true. SA short heads have fairly long rear tapers.

What are the pros and cons of long rear tapers?

Do the CND lines have long rear tapers? Nextcast? New xlt?

What would happen if I added a 20' rear taper to a mid-spey? Or cut the taper off of my xlt?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Longer rear tapers enhance turnover at distance. The CND lines have rear tapers that range from 9' on the 5/6, to 15' on the 11/12. If memory serves me correctly the increment is 1' longer for each line size up.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
one of my favorite line design topics! I find that different rear tapers also affect casting feel and fishing. I like long bellies with long rear tapers, and short bellies with short rear tapers. My casting stroke adjusts to suit.

On long bellies, the long rear taper in the guides seems to load the mid of the rod towards the butt, which gives the cast a smoother feel and lets me apply more power over a long stroke w/o shocking the tip. Cut off the long rear taper, aerialize the entire belly outside of the tip top, and it starts to require a more precise casting stroke to access good power down deep w/o tailing loops.

long rear tapers work fine for me on mid lines, makes them forgiving fishing tools. The casting feel doesn't change radically as you work out line and vary the amount of overhang. It gives a wide sweet spot. My custom winter line fishes like a mid belly, but has a long rear taper that may qualify it as a long belly

fwiw, the SA Short is listed as having a long rear taper, but most of the taper occurs over about 4', and the rest is pretty thin, near the diameter of the running line - I think the SA Short rear taper is probably highly non-linear from belly to running line. I like short belly lines in general with a short casting stroke, and find they energize better as shooting heads when they have short rear tapers. I built some skagit-type lines that had fairly linear 7-10' rear tapers from thick belly to running line and they did not cast well. I think rear taper mass in the guides reduced the speed of rod tip recovery that is integral to shooting heads.

In contrast, with long belly lines and a longer casting stroke, the rod tip path length comes into play more. I think this is why casting long bellies may be more technically demanding with an underhand stroke - it requires the same amount of rod loading (power application) over a shorter casting stroke, and thus more precision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.