Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am going Salmon fishing for the first time on the River Spey. I have bought myself a Loop Greyline Fifteen footer rated 10/11 and will be fishing in the summer, so I presume I will only need floating and intermediate lines.

Can anyone recommend a good floating/ intermediate line for a beginner spey caster with this rod??

Many thanks, Simon

J

·
0 Posts
My experience is that the Loop rods cast best with spey-type shooting heads and short bellied lines. The 13' and 14' Grey line cast incredibly well with the Loop Adapted heads designed for that size rod. I'm sure the 15' would be similar. Or, if you want a complete speyline, I'd try the Airflo Delta in the 10/11 size. Whenever I find the need, which isn't very often anymore, to go to a mid-belly line I usually go to another rod. In my case, that's usually a T&T. Though I'm sure that really accomplished speycasters can make the Loops cast well with almost any line, I'm not so sure an inexperienced speycaster would do nearly as well.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Loop Quattro 10/11

Hi Simon--welcome!

Loop has a new Spey line on the market called the Quattro. It is a multi tip line that has a floating tip as well as 3 sinking tips. The head length is 53.5ft which is excellent for someone new to Speycasting. This line was chosen as the best multi tip Spey line in the Trout and Salmon line review published last autumn. I've been testing this line on a number of rods the past few weeks and you'll find my comments here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts