·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I understand it, the catagories of Spey lines are:
A. Grand Spey (the longest),
B. Mid-Spey (some what shorter)
...both for more traditional spey casting... Then there is
C. Scandi (a shorter shooting head that works well with the underhand cast)
D. Skagit (short, heavy head for shooting line works well with heavy, sinking flies)
Are there more ???
I have a Skagit line that I use on one of my rods. On the other I use an Airflow Delta Multi Tip. What catagory does the Airflo belong in?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I have a Skagit line that I use on one of my rods. On the other I use an Airflow Delta Multi Tip. What catagory does the Airflo belong in?
Your Delta is a shorthead spey.

I would roughly group them something like this:

Shooting heads (skagits & scandi)

Shorthead spey lines (Delta, WC, SA Spey Shorthead, ect)

Mid-length spey lines (MidSpey, Delta Long, SA Spey Classic, ect)

Long bellies (Nextcast 95, GrandSpey)

Double Tapers (CND, SA Salmon DT's)

Some lines cross a couple head length classes as they get heavier (CND, XLT, Carron Jetstream)

The above are a just few examples and like many things in the spey tackle world there are some overlaps and exceptions.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,431 Posts
Very nice grouping Mike! I would agree that these seem to cover all the bases. The Carron Jetstream is another one of those Mid to Long depending on the weight and the head length.

·
Administrator
18,352 Posts
Hey guys , what about the good'ole Salmon DT's ?? I know , usually over looked , but it is one of my favourite for ''dry-lining'' wet's . :smokin:

Mike

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
The Carron Jetstream is another one of those Mid to Long depending on the weight and the head length.
Yes, I started to edit my post to include the Jetstream but just after I clicked on "edit" Mrs. RedShed said she'd made me a bacon and egg sandwich at which point my stomach over rode my brain and the post was forgotten.:smokin:

Good point on the DT's Mike. I''l edit my post to include them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Line catagories and casting

thanks...that helps me understand the types of lines.

I know that skagits, and scandi's lend themselves to shorter rods and sustained anchor casts...D.Spey, P.poke, snap T, etc. and the longer lines work well with the more traditional, long rod casts...touch and go.. S.spey, Snake roll, etc...

I am guessing that the Airflo Delta is more of a shooting line like the Skagit and Scandi?

Barry

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I am guessing that the Airflo Delta is more of a shooting line like the Skagit and Scandi?

In a strict sense all spey lines except double tapers are shooting heads, my definition being a heavier tapered/untapered head with a lighter running line in back. This is the same as a weight forward fly line.

The above being said, it is possible to use some of the longer head spey lines without shooting any line. I cast this way whenever I'm using a head that is longer then my ability to cast it.:whoa:

·
Registered
344 Posts
...it is possible to use some of the longer head spey lines without shooting any line. I cast this way whenever I'm using a head that is longer then my ability to cast it.:whoa:
Poppy, EVERYBODY casts that way when they are using a head that is longer than their ability to cast it!

Of course for some, there are no heads that long, or they just pick up a longer rod!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts