Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have another request for data.

I just loaded a 4" Bougle' with 250yds of 30# micron and a Rio Mid spey 6/7. Plenty of room to spare. Had I known capacity, I would have went with either 275 or 300 yards of backing.

It has been mentioned on many posts that the reel manufactures do a poor job of providing data. So let's do it ourself.

Sean, can a data chart providing line/backing and reels be maintained? I know, I know, it's more work, but we are data and equipment freaks on this site.

Thanks for considering this.

Gary

·
Registered
147 Posts
I learned the hard way too

I too, had this problem until I read Lefty's writings as to "how to" and I've found it flawless. He puts the chosen fly line on the bare arbor and winds it up; then, he takes the backing and winds it on under considerable tension to fill up the spool to the desired amount and then cut the backing off. Then, wind the backing back on to a spool (I use a wireless drill and hold the spool, tightened up on a piece of 1/4-10 threaded stock). Next, wind the Spey or fly line back onto a spool. Then permanentely attach the backing to the arbor of the reel spool and wind it on under a great deal of tension followed by attaching to the Spey Line and ready to fish. There is so much variation in diameters between the various brands of backing. For those of us who want the maximum amount of backing this works better than anything I've ever used or heard of...FYI Best, Stiver

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
too much work this way

Stiver, I'm lazy and would just like to wind once. I have done this in the past and I always seem to get all the stuff tangled up. I even went to the extreme of winding between posts in my yard.

Gary

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
This is somethng I could consider. Maybe just expand the idea of matching rods/ lines to also include reels/lines. If I build the app right this should not be a problem but will probably be held off until version 2. I think it does warrant being in there though and thanks for the suggestion.

If we have some real industrious guys they could provide volume info for spey lines and with a little math you can match that to the volume on your reel. I think Bob Pauli talked a little about this before.

-sean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts