Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 95% sure that I'm about to buy a 16ft Jon boat with a 25hp Jet (Merc). I'm aware that it will be most comfortable driving with only 1 passenger, but I also believe that it depends on the type of water. I'm likely going to be doing some shuttling while I fish with buddies (4 guys including myself next week) and was wondering if anyone has done much of this before? I don't like the thought of running back and forth, but I'd like to be fairly safe. Thoughts? Oh and by big water I mean Skeena and her tribs.

·
R J Ruwe
260 Posts
I have a 14' Jon Boat, and have fished in Puget Sound frequently with 2 passengers with no problems. 25 horse motor. I believe a jet pump doesn't have as much power as a prop, but I may be mistaken. Go for it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It'll take 3 people at a time, and probably get on step with 4 - you'll just be moving pretty slow. I have a 20hp 2 stroke on a 14 ft zodiac, and I've taken 650+/- pounds up and down the Skeena a few times this summer - round trip of 40km or so. We go pretty much anywhere on the lower Skeena with 2 of us in that setup.

You'll learn how to move the boat with lots of weight... you'll need more weight up front to get on step, then have everyone slide back a bit once you're moving. Make sure you're not pushing a bunch of water with the guys too far up front once on step, and you'll learn to climb the river like a fish - staying out of the current whenever possible and staying skinny in "ground effect" whenever possible.

I really enjoy the challenge of running a small boat as efficiently as possible.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,307 Posts
Beam / width is important with a river boat, even though I had a 13 day gap in my travel this season I still logged 2872 miles on my boat. I drive an ATEC Sockeye with a stand up console powered by a 90 hp Honda jet. There is nothing tippy about the boat and the biggest fear comes from submerged boulders while traveling down river. it's when the unexpected happens that your load and the stability of the boat can present challenges. My own boat has an 80" beam so tipping isn't a concern but I have driven smaller boats that were very unstable.

I would think you may find that a 25 hp jet will not be pushing multiple passengers very well against a current so you will be shuttling your guys possibly.

Ard

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ian,

Is that 25 hp at the pump, or 25 hp if it were equipped with a prop? If the latter, 2 people is likely the limit, and if the former, it will push your boat with 3, but it will be noticeably slower and won't plane as well. For comparison, I have a 16' Lund SSV equipped with a Yamaha 40/30 hp jet pump, and 3 people on board is my effective limit. I wish I could have the 60/40 hp, but it's too heavy for my set up.

Sg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 35hp head and 25hp at the jet. Another fellow told me today he basically had the exact same setup and was able to get 4 people (including himself) from A to B, it was just slower going and he was more careful. I'll try to minimize having that many guys in the boat and I'll definitely stay in fairly mellow stretches of river if there is more than two guys.

Let's hope this rain gives us a break soon, I may be driving quite a bit in search of fishable water to break the new boat in!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts