Spey Pages banner

Lightweight T&T Rod

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  wildgene 
#1 ·
I fish Maine rivers for trout and landlocked salmon. Most spey rods are overkill for these waters so I'm inclined to use lighter rods. A new rod by T&T caught my attention. It's a 10' 6 weight.
Any thoughts on the advisability of a rod this size?

#4 ·
JD
When say that you've tried the rod, do you mean the T&T 10' Horizon? I'm talking about a 10' double-handed rod, although my guess is that the 10' double-hander is the 10' Horizon blank with a double-handed seat. Anyway, were you comparing the way the 10' performed against the 9' when casting overhand?

#5 ·
Brian, what rivers/kind of rivers are you thinking about? How are you planning to fish the rod?
I have a Scott 11.5' #6 two handed rod, and I am curiouse as to your plans. If you live in the area, you are welcome to give it a try.
I doubt that the rod you are looking at is a #6 Horizon with a different grip and seat.

#6 ·
Eddie
Thanks for the offer but I already have that Scott rod (and like it alot). I use the Scott and some T&T 7 weights for larger rivers like the Kennebec. I'm looking for a rod that's even smaller, something that will spey cast as well as overhand cast on rivers like the Rapid or Magalloway. I've never cast a 10' rod and my worry is that it would be too short to spey cast and too long to overhand cast. Or, hopefully, it might work OK for both.

#7 ·
10' T&T

Brian,

You hit the nail square on the head. Yes itwas a 10 it siingle handed rod and I was overhand casting it. Also like you said this rod that you are considering may be too short for Spey casting and too long for overhead casting. My sentiments, exactly. Iwas advised early in the (Spey casting) game that anything under 12 ft long , was unpractical. I question the logic behind some of these new shorter, lighter weight Spey rods. If you wnt to pey cast, that can be done with a std 9 ft rod. You just have to have a lng belly line. See Simon's video . The Rio international Spey Casting.

#8 ·
Brian Haddock re a light two handed rod

Brian, you might want to consider Bob Meiser's 7/8 rod on this link below.

I have his 7/8 S2H10'6" Rod, and I can do medium range spey casting, great overhead casting, incredible roll casts, and every type of nymph casting with this rod. It will cast into the wind, with the wind and with the wind at your back. It works well with my Rio 678 WC and every seven and eight weight line I owned before I bought the rod.

Bob is one of our new advertisers, and I own two of his great rods, the second rod is his 9/10 10'6". They are the perfect compliments to my Sage 7141 and 10151. I can use them on smaller streams and big rivers with other fishers around you.

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/s2h106-78.html

#9 ·
Brian, what line do you like on your Scott?
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a lighter(softer)rod than the one you have, but
Sage and T&T have introduced 5wt two handed rods. Of course you can "spey" cast any length rod, so a ten foot single or two handed rod should work. For me the shorter the rod, the shorter the head I can work with.
Are you going to fish streamers? Nymph and indicator? Let us know how these "ultra light" speys work for you.

#11 ·
T&T 6wt

Brian:

Let me know your opinions on the T&T 6wt. Feel free to email me if you like.

We are wanting to do a spey class here next fall and our waters would lend themselves to light spey. Our tailwaters can change flows in a heart beat and hopefully we can get some light spey started here. I am excited by the prospect of the lighter gear that some of the rod manufacturers are pushing now.

John

#12 ·
Brian,

G.Loomis has an 11 ft 6 weight single-hand rod in the Trilogy series that is a a very fine long 6 weight rod. It has an action very similar to the old G.Loomis IMX rods of the early 90's, and it spey single-hand spey casts with ease. The RIO single-hand 6 weight WindCutter or LongCast lines are wonderful for doing so.

Sage, also has an 11 foot 6 wight they make for Euopean lake fishing. It is a bit slower than the G.Loomis but it is a nice rod. In fact, it is a friend's favorite summer Steelhead rod for smaller rivers or big streams.

#13 ·
Smaller Speys

I have an 11'3" Loop in a 7 wt and I love this rod for smaller streams and rivers. I get a lot strange looks from some folks here in the Great Lakes region when I pull this rod out and start swinging flies though runs. But it works. Rigged up with a Windcutter 7 wt floating line and a few Airflo Poly leaders to get down deep once in awhile. This system also casts fairly well. I dont use it for overhead casting at all but when using snap T's or single and double spey casts it works great.

#14 ·
Same rod?

Hi Brian,
I think I got to cast the same rod @ the FFF Conclave. Simon Gawesworth had a demo model, originally a 5wt., but it seemed a little stiff.
Anyway, Simon was blasting out casts w/ it & I even managed a few good ones w/ a RIO 5-6 Spey. It's seems like a fine rod for smaller to medium water where you would perfer to use a Spey rod. I loved it.
Good drifts,
Gene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.