Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend whose wife loves to trout fish, but has had trouble with her arm lately.

My friend thought she might be able to use a light weight Spey rod ... like a 5wt, but also light in weight.

Of course cost is an issue as well ... any suggestions?

Stephen

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
The Beulah 10'6"-4/5/6 switch rod. It sells for $368.00 and should fill the need very well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Temple Forks has a new 11' 5-weight one-hander with an add-on bottom grip which makes it into an 11'6" two-handed rod for WF5F fly line. To clarify this is built to the weight-forward standard, not the heavier spey standard. As such, it is a very lightweight rod. I think it is about $ 229.

It might not be listed on the website, but I know it is available for ordering through your local TFO dealer.

Jay Horton
Advisory Staff
Temple Forks Outfitters

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Jay,

Does that rod come stock with a longer add on butt? Or are you talking of building rear grip for it?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Light rod

Call Bob Meiser and talk to him. I am sure he will send a rod that your wife could try. He makes a series of light two handers for trout. He is on the Sponsors list.

Skilly

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Meiser/Beulah 5/6 Switch Rod or Sage 5120

Isgrigg said:
I have a friend whose wife loves to trout fish, but has had trouble with her arm lately.

My friend thought she might be able to use a light weight Spey rod ... like a 5wt, but also light in weight.

Of course cost is an issue as well ... any suggestions?

Stephen
I have a rotator cuff that has been shredded over time at least 3 times. Last May, I tore my bicep head where the bicep and rotator cuff join.

For a large part of last year, after months of PT, I could only use my Meiser 5/6 Switch Rod and/or my Sage 5120.

I use the Rio Outbound WF 10W Floater on both rods with or without the Rio 7' sinking leaders or a 15' leader with the Sage or a 10' leader with the Meiser Switch rod.

Both are effortless to cast and can easily handle trout from 1 to 6-7 pounds.

I prefer the Sage for longer distance and a more delicate presentation with the 15' leader. The Meiser 5/6 easily reaches out to 50-60', however, I can use it for high sticking, nymphing and casting from a boat or small personal craft or tight casting situations with brush and trees all around me.

Last night a friend met Bill Malin and I on our local river. The friend had brought a single handed rod instead of his 7/8 switch rod. Bill loaned us his Beulah 5/6 switch rod, and it surprised all of us as it handled a Skagit 450 with an intermediate sinking tip after pulling in about 4-5' of the head past the rod tip before each cast. It will probably really do well with a Rio Outbound WF 10W.

If your friend will casting in areas without brush and trees and needs to reach out 50+', go with a 12' or longer rod like the Sage 5120.

If she will be casting to a closer range with limited back casts and wants to nymph or use the rod while in a boat or personal watercraft, go with a 5/6Switch rod.

Reel wise, the Redington CD 9/10 balances these rods perfectly and costs less than $150 bucks. Some of the Striper guides in the California Delta are using these reels for striper fishing with their one handed rods.

The Rio Outbound lines cost about $65, and they may be best buy IMHO for the smaller spey rods. You can spey cast with them, skagit cast with them, roll cast with them and reach way out with overhand casts. Last night Bill Malin had one of the Beulah trout spey rods with a Beulah line. It was obvious :confused: the Beulah line was not loading the rod. I took my OB WF 11F and Redington CD 9/10 reel off of my Sage 6126 and let Bill put it on the Beulah trout rod and rig it up.

Suddenly, the rod came alive for Bill and was loading properly and without straining. After Bill was happy with the OB line, I tried the 3 basic Skagit casts and was able to shoot 2-3 rod lengths of shooting line plus the 37.5' head, leader, tippet and good size practice fly with no effort. Then, I tried it overhead with 3 rod lengths of shooting line. Bang the line popped against the rest of the line in the reel, as the fly went all the way out. The same thing happened up to about 5+ rod lengths of shooting line, and the line was still going all the way out and banging tight :Eyecrazy: on the reel. The Redington CD 9/10 reel balanced this rod perfectly. That rod might be an alternative. I don't know enough about it as I only cast it at the end of the evening. However, it was effortless to cast.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Trout speys

I would definitely consider Gary Anderson - Anderson Custom Rods. He makes a variety of light two-handers from 3 weight to 6 weight that are, in my opinion, the best in the light rod niche. He has at least two outstanding 5 weights and also has rods that can be converted from a 9'+ single hander to a 12'+ two hander. Beautifully made and great casters. They can be had in various grades of hardware and finish, with prices reflecting the grade, but all are quite reasonable for what you get.

541-582-4318 is his phone number.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Beulah 11'6 6/7 Weight

That's the rod we were using at the end of the evening. This is one of the Beulahs that Bob Meiser had a hand in. An absolute blast to fish. I am wowed by the amount of weight this thing will carry with no strain at all. The 465gr Outbound floater was just about perfection. I was unable to get into the bottom half of the blank using an OB 375gr, but when i bumped up 100gr it really brought the regressive/bottom half of the rod to life. Dave and I were down to the last two dozen coils of running line on the reel and were still snapping the line tight on the cast. I figure we were hitting about 90' at max. (37 ft head 10ft leader 40-50 ft running line) Not bad for a breezy afternoon.

James @ Beulah had this rod custom built for me by Steve Godshall and the fit/finish is excellent, with incredible custom cork-work on the upper and lower grips. I love this rod, it's the most fun of all the rods I own. I strongly reccomend this rod. If you are in the SF Bay area and want to give it a try, let me know. We will be doing a semi-regular casting practice / oppourtunistic Striper session on the Napa river on thursdays around 6:30-7pm.

Best Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Beulah 11'6 6/7 Weight

Bill Malin said:
That's the rod we were using at the end of the evening. This is one of the Beulahs that Bob Meiser had a hand in. An absolute blast to fish. I am wowed by the amount of weight this thing will carry with no strain at all. The 465gr Outbound floater was just about perfection. I was unable to get into the bottom half of the blank using an OB 375gr, but when i bumped up 100gr it really brought the regressive/bottom half of the rod to life. Dave and I were down to the last two dozen coils of running line on the reel and were still snapping the line tight on the cast. I figure we were hitting about 90' at max. (37 ft head 10ft leader 40-50 ft running line) Not bad for a breezy afternoon.

Best Regards,
Bill
As Bill noted above we were casting across a good breeze. The breeze was coming upstream and we casting across and upstream about 20 degrees.

I was amazed at how laser like the casts were with minimal effort, just a good hard stop at the end of the forward cast. My overhand casts were kept low because of the wind. There were no false casts. Just a simple roll cast to kiss the water with the head, leader and fly and back for the overhand and then firing the cast out into and across a strong evening wind.

Also, we were not using my line hoster or Bill's home made stripping basket. We were dropping the shooting line in front of us. It was at the end of the day and the OB running/shooting line was coiling up and was in need of pulling out the coils. If we had used stripping baskets or holsters and the running line had been decoiled, we might have gone to the end loop of the OB.

The rod with the OB 11 Floater never felt nor looked overloaded. It was a very poor no go :eek: with the Beulah line, Bill had.

The results were very impressive for a so called trout spey rod.

Yet as Bill noted, we were snapping :Eyecrazy: the line at the reel with 80 to 90' casts from the rod tip or 90 to 100' from our feet. When these so called trout spey rods are matched up with the right Rio Outbound WF Floating Line, good things :D happen.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
I like my Meiser 12’6” 4/5/6 trouter. Perfect rod for 3-10 lb Alaskan Rainbows.
It is also a great casting tool and the cosmetics are unbelievable!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Beulah 11'6 6/7

I should note that the Beulah line I was using was an experiment to see if the longer belly helped load the rod better. The head was around 380gr, just like the OB 9 I had with me at 375gr, only it has a 50' head. I had already figured out 375 was too light when I tried the OB first. The additional length of line on the water only helped a little. When I tried the Beulah 450+gr head yesterday, I was very happy with the match.
As an end note: Overhead casting with the lighter lines produced some very tight loops with accuracy and delicate delivery on smaller flies, probably will try that again while float tubin', or maybe up on the Yuba.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Grampa Spey said:
Last night a friend met Bill Malin and I on our local river. The friend had brought a single handed rod instead of his 7/8 switch rod. Bill loaned us his Beulah 5/6 switch rod, and it surprised all of us as it handled a Skagit 450 with an intermediate sinking tip after pulling in about 4-5' of the head past the rod tip before each cast. It will probably really do well with a Rio Outbound WF 10W.
Has anyone tried the 10wt OB on a 5/6 switch?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Bill Malin said:
I should note that the Beulah line I was using was an experiment to see if the longer belly helped load the rod better. The head was around 380gr, just like the OB 9 I had with me at 375gr, only it has a 50' head. I had already figured out 375 was too light when I tried the OB first. The additional length of line on the water only helped a little. When I tried the Beulah 450+gr head yesterday, I was very happy with the match.
As an end note: Overhead casting with the lighter lines produced some very tight loops with accuracy and delicate delivery on smaller flies, probably will try that again while float tubin', or maybe up on the Yuba.
Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to help my friend get ready to cast, so I didn't really know what was happening except the B line didn't load your rod.

Re the long casts, the problem with them and the OB's is the basic inability to be able to men with the lines. I can mend the OB running/shooting line better than the Skagits.

Having said, that, one of my best days with dry flies and the long rods was on the Yuba with a floating Caddis and a Fox Pupah with my old 7136, my Mid Spey 7/8 with the up grade. Big trout/medium steelhead were feeding about 55' out in two spots, in one slick, straight out and in another slick down stream about 20 degrees. I actually hooked two trout in air before the Pupah hit the water. I don't know who was more surprised, me or the fish.

Last year using the Skagits with a 15' floating tip and a 15' leader with my 5120, if I got some s' into the leader and fish were striking at the surface or at intermediates, I got some quick results. I was not able to mend the green running line which I can do some with the OBs.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The OB WF10F and my Meiser 5/6 Switch rod are a great match

pcknshvl said:
Has anyone tried the 10wt OB on a 5/6 switch?
My Meiser 5/6 never worked with the WC 5/6 and my MS 6/7 had too long of a head.

One day with Bob Pauli, I tried the OB WF 8F, and the results were the same as with the 5/6. Bob suggested that I try my OB WF 10W, and the combo is superb with Skagit casts or standard spey casts.
Bob was scaring the wild life :Eyecrazy: on the other side of the river with my 5/6 Switch rod and the OB WF 10W.

Leader and tip wise, I don't have the skills to use my normal 15' leader, so I use a 10' leader and a couple of feet of tippet. Sinking tip wise, I do best with Rio's 7' sinking tips.

I can roll cast the 37.5' head and a 10' leader and a couple of feet of tippet easily from the rod tip. That is basically a 50' cast from the rod tip with a simple roll cast. Also the Rio 7' sinking leaders will roll cast easily. This works for the smaller streams when there is zero room for any D loop.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Loomis 5/6 on the Classified board, I'd jump on it!

Jamey McLeod said:
Loomis 5/6 on the Classified board, I'd jump on it.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=23213

Voyagertwelve
Registered User Join Date: Jun 2005

Rods, Reels, Lines,- Loomis, CND, Winston, Galvan, Rio, Orvis, Okuma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd give you first crack at these before they go on Ebay on Monday,

I've collected too many extras in search of equipment I like so this stuff is on the block.

Loomis FR16056-3 Metolius 13' 4" 5/6 3 piece Streamdance trout spey rod,
with tube and sock Retails for $445 Asking $300

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed Ward likes this rod and so have other posters.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bringing back a good thread

I found this thread quite helpfull in finding a spey/Trout rod, so I thought I would bring it back. I was curious to why no one reccomended some of CND's Spey Rods for Trout? I was considering a CND until I came accross this thread. Thanks -Randy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.