Spey Pages banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there smth new on the market comparing(line weight recomendations)with 5120 & Metolius? If fishing for no more than 10 pounds FISH? Or more...

·
Peter Finnis
85 Posts
I would seriously recommend talking to Bob Meiser about one of his 12ft 6ins 4/5/6 trout speys. The one he made for me is simply magnificent. On a recent trip to Montana it handled everything from size 4 streamers on 1X to size 18 soft hackles on 5X with consumate ease. Simply the finest rod I have ever used.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gary Anderson rods

Gary Anderson (Anderson Custom Rods) makes, in my opinion, some of the greatest lightline spey rods. He has a 3 wt, 4 wt., a couple of 5 wts. and some that convert from excellent 9' single hand rods to 12' or longer spey rods with the addition of extra sections. Bob Meiser does make some fine light speys, at least one of which shares the same blank design as Gary's. Though the rods are light, they aren't at all wimpy and will propel a weighted streamer to 80' or more. Gary has made a specialty of the lighter line rods and his are, in my opinion, far superior to the Sage or Loomis 5 weights. None of them are very good for windy days, however.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard a lot of (in a great hesitation whose put first ...) so... hm...both great rod makers mentioned above... I'd even tried to connect with them... But again, both of them never answered me...(I hope that it deals mostly with server management forbiding IP from Russia(I'm sure-in some cases it's quite so). But sooner or later we'll try these famous rods.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Ryb

Bob Meiser gets pretty busy at times with rod-building and fishing, but he has always gotten back to me. Did you send him a PM?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi RYB,

I've not received any E-Mail/phone messages from you ...

...But sometimes messages do fail for reasons far beyond my understanding.

If you wish, you may consider a PM through this site.

That's very reliable.

Gary Anderson just lives down the road a piece from me, and I can help putting you guys together if you wish.

He is a good friend, and his sticks are very nice.

Meiz

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Robert!

I've realy tried to connect you through the links on your site...
So many good words about Anderson and Meiser rods even in Russia!
Good luck gentlemen!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OOPS! Big Brother again?

Even for me this abreviation became ,hm, like smth far and untrue, like childhood or first love...
No I think THEY are too busy for ... I don't know what.
Coming back to our sheep.
Is there a term(how should I say it in english?)like "heavy tip" or "light" one while talking about 2-hander?
I was told that "heavy t" lets redirect the cast much easier... And this all was about Meiser rod(do not remember which one exactly).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
RYP,

We have two families of tapers:

The MKS and the Highlanders.

You may be speaking of the MKS rods.

The MKS rods are rather stiff tipped with slightly regressed (softened) butts.

The Highlanders have softer tips and stiffer butts then the MKS rods.

Both have progressive actions with fast/medium fast recoveries.

... Both accomplish the same goals, but each will do so in a different fashion.

I do send quite a few rods to Russia: Generaly to Moscow and St. Peterburg...Or through Helsinki.

I can connect you with anglers that have both MKS and Highlanders in Russia through another PM if you wish.

I did return your PM with detailed information.

Thanks for now.

Meiz

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thank you Bob!

But I think I know who you're talking about...
But they(or he)will NEVER let anybody even touch your rod. Like a wife Meiser is(rod I mean).
PS. Bob there's no PM in my box...

·
Registered
27 Posts
RYB said:
But I think I know who you're talking about...
But they(or he)will NEVER let anybody even touch your rod. Like a wife Meiser is(rod I mean).
PS. Bob there's no PM in my box...
You live far away from my bank, my friend.:)
Only five hours from Moscow by train and you could cast a couple of rods and lines.
Jack

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Salmonjack

Great!
What the bank you mean? And what direction 5 hour by railroad is?
Anyhow, thank you so much... But next 2 month I'm hardly ever able to go far from Moscow...
Glad to meet zema on this site.
Regards!

·
Registered
27 Posts
RYB said:
Great!
What the bank you mean? And what direction 5 hour by railroad is?
Anyhow, thank you so much... But next 2 month I'm hardly ever able to go far from Moscow...
Glad to meet zema on this site.
Regards!
Small Nevka in St.Petersburg.
I will in Moscow with rods only in April-May, before new season will opened.
This year I teached my friend Zmey on the pond.
If you have questions, I think he knows how to bring me and where
Jack

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
World is so small place...

I get it!
I'm sitting in ZMEy's office, trying to spread flyfishing throughout our great country...
My respect!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts