Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a reel better suited for use on a 10’ 7 weight T&T Switch rod. I’m currently using a modern Hardy Perfect Taupo that weights 221g. The shorter length of the rod combined with the down locking reel seat give a butt heavy feel to this outfit. The other reels I’ve tried (Sage 509 and Abel Switch) are all heavier than the modern Taupo. Anyone know of a nice full-cage, click&pawl reel with classic lines that weighs in lighter than the modern Taupo?

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I’m looking for a reel better suited for use on a 10’ 7 weight T&T Switch rod. I’m currently using a modern Hardy Perfect Taupo that weights 221g. The shorter length of the rod combined with the down locking reel seat give a butt heavy feel to this outfit. The other reels I’ve tried (Sage 509 and Abel Switch) are all heavier than the modern Taupo. Anyone know of a nice full-cage, click&pawl reel with classic lines that weighs in lighter than the modern Taupo?
Hardy St. Aidan and Zenith reels in their “lightweight” reel series would be perfect. The both have approximately the volume of the Taupo but are a few oz lighter. Original Marquis 10 might be good. The new Marquis LWT series are even lighter than the originals, so maybe take a look at those if they are within you price category. But on such a short rod something that is 6-6.5 oz empty would be far better than the Taupo which is IMO perfect for a 7 wtt SPEY length rod.

Hope this gets you started.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I like the look of the St. Aiden and Zenith. I’ll keep my eyes open for a nice one and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,066 Posts
Another Hardy is the Brit-made Marquis 8/9, it is slightly smaller than the Marquis 10 which is smaller than the Salmon #1. The St Aidens are not that hard to find, here or on the big auction block. Just be careful some people think they are worth a lot more than they really are. You should be able to find a St Aiden is good condition for less than $200. Remember you are buying the function, not the looks of the reel. Be sure you see the inside of the reel.

I used to have several St Aidens until I discovered the St John which I think is a better, more substanial reel.

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Maybe the TS would like to have some more, detailed information about the mentioned reels. I´ve posted about this some years ago, but here we go. The Zenith is a small/medium salmon reel. It has the stronger check work, as Marquis salmon etc, and weighs also more, stronger built. Fitted with a Rage 540 grain head, it weighs 8,3 oz. The St. Aidan is a large trout reel, smaller check work, same as the other Lightweight trout reels. With a Rage 480 head, it weighs 7,7 oz. Not much difference in weight, but maybe it matters to the TS. The Marquis #10, which is a fine, slightly overseen reel, is something of an anomaly. Less capacity, less weight at 7,5 oz with a 400 grain Skagit head, but has the stronger check, and exposed rim! And the small handle as on trout reels. The handle is sooomewhaaaat obstructed by the rim, which could cause bad language if used with gloves in the cold. I don´t have a Marquis 8/9 to compare with, I´m afraid.
If you easily get bitten by the collecting bug, avoid the Zenith. A multitude of different versions out there. The St. Aidan, only two. Singlescrew or doublescrew line guards. OK, the doublescrew guard can be found stamped with patent number, or not. Make it three then.... Yours borano20

1 - 5 of 5 Posts