Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Hexagraph-stuffed friend also owns a Falkus Light Line 15´#DT7 that he might want to sell.

Which spey line would work on such a super soft rod? A Midspey 7/8 has the right weight, I think, but is he Midspey smooth enough for this rod? Have heard comments that the Midspey sometimes can be a bit splashy.

This rod needs a line that works well with long leaders and small flies. Distance is not crucial but it would be nice with a line that´s capable of distances of around 30 meters.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can't speak for this particular rod, but I'd try a Wulff TT spey line. I have a B&W Powerlite 'Walker' 15', rated for 7-10 lines (quite a wide rating, eh?). This is my 'long and light' rod, for when I want water coverage, but don't need huge reserves of power.

On this rod I use a Wulff TT #7, which has a 70' head. It's a bit light for the rod, but I had it going really well a couple of weekends ago with a single spey. With all the head outside the tip ring (and on my rod I need this to get it to work properly) and a 15' leader, you have just about 30m from reel to fly even before you shoot any line.

The one criticism you sometimes hear of these lines is that they don't turn over big flies very well. This is due to their fine tips, (and can be cured by cutting them back a bit). But if you won't be fishing big flies, it gives you a very nice, unsplashy, subtle approach, which I'm convinced is an advantage on slow and flat water. I find it a lovely, easy-casting combination with a full floater in high summer conditions.

·
Registered
427 Posts
6/7 XLT casts very well on that rod, The rod is not "soft" but slow it flexes well into the butt.

I have to appreciate "Distance is not crucial but it would be nice with a line that´s capable of distances of around 30 meters. " So what is a long fishing cast for a 7wt ? 30 meters plus leader of 17-20ft hmm.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Gardener! Will check out the Wulffs. Should have done that long ago, anyway!

Roballen: Regarding the Jetstream, you can´t get it lighter than 10/11, can you? Otherwise, that might be the optimal line for this rod.

Andre: Have you yourself tried the 6/7 XLT on the Hexagraph Light Line? Might also be a great combo. Regarding distance, I´m of course including the leader within these 30 meters! Sure, a 7w has its limitations and during these conditions (low and clear) long casts aren´t necessary. But in order not to spook fish you may want to fish at distances of 20-30 meters. (What is that in English/American measures? Something like 450 cubic feet?? Just kidding... This whole metric vs English/American thing makes me think of a hilarious sketch by Eddie Izzard... :) )

·
Registered
75 Posts
Fredtrout

I have a 8/9 TT Floater line thats just laying around. I found it a bit light on my Sage 9140. Your welcome to try it out. Just shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send up to you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
fredtrout to behonest i have no idea.. the one i have is a 10-11 and just a touch heavy for my 9wt i'd be saddened if thats the lightest one they make

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I gather the 10/11 is the lightest but I think that others on the forum can bring clarity to this.

Jim Lambchop: sent you a pm!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'd also recommend the Wulff TT lines.

Another of my favorite lines the good ol' Cortland 444 (peach) double taper. Unfortunately, these lines aren't available in the long (120') lengths, but for a light rod like my sage 7136, they are plenty long. Don't overlook these lines! They're about as smooth and supple as lines come and very pleasant to cast and fish.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quite a range !

Like Gardner, I also use both a B&W 15` a lot of the time, and find the Wulff lines very good, but for what it`s worth, I have never found anything yet, as nice to speycast with as the new Airflo lines.
There are quite a range to choose from, with a choice of belly-lenghts, but I have tried them all, and found them very satisfying.
There are so many lines out there to choose from, that it can become utter confusion for many people. The new breed of multi-head lines (many of which I have fished with) are especially varied in performance, and I have mixed sentiments of these. Convenient, yes. Progressive, maybe. Perfection, no. We may be on the right track, but there is much work to be done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts