Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that winter is around the corner, I am thinking about adding to my steelhead library. I have all known books on Great Lakes steelhead, Trey Combs bible, spey casting books and videos. (I was disappointed in Dec Hogan's new DVD - too short, not enough meat). I am looking to add books on: Steelhead and Atlantic Salmon fishing in general, PNW fishing, Canadian Atlantic Salmon fishing and books about fishing the motherland - Scotland. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
David Dornblaser
[email protected]

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
David -

Although not a fishing book per se, the Bates' book on salmon flies is a favorite of mine. Especially the Glasso meets Bates element.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It doesn't have the glitz of underhand casting and skagit casting but I recently acquired Hugh Falkus's book on modern speycasting. It has an interesting perspective on speycasting and some interesting devices for teaching casting, one of which he has dubbed the emasculator.

It is definitely a good read and different than many of the more recent books. Although his style is different than a lot of trends I think it would be difficult to not recognize Hugh Falkus as a force to be reckoned with in the spey world.

Gillie

J

·
0 Posts
Is there a chance that Mr. Falkus' book has been reprinted? I know for a long time it was nearly impossible to find. It is not listed in either wholesale catalog of fishing books I have. Anyone know of a source for this book? I have a copy and enjoyed it immensely. I have a couple of friends who've asked me to help them locate a copy. It's a shame we lost Mr. Falkus a couple of years ago, as he really was a giant presence in salmon fishing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
JR, Abebooks lists a few copies of Falkus's speycasting book, though at rather eye-watering prices!

In answer to the original question I'd also recommend Falkus's 'Salmon Fishing : A Practical Guide'. This is one of the most comprehensive books about salmon fishing on this side of the Atlantic.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I considered myself fortunate when I found Falkus' book sitting on a discount table at Barnes and Noble. It is a very good read and a lucky find.

Gillie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Fine and Far Off

" Fine and Far Off" by Jock Scott, about Alexander Grant and his casting/fishing techniques.

Jim

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Peter,

The books that I refer to most are: Steelhead Dreams: The Theory, Method, Science and Madness bo Great Lakes Fly Fishing by Matt Supinski and Fly Fishing for Great Lakes Steelhead: an Advanced Look at an Emerging Fishery by Rick and Jerry Kustich. I have given out Supinski's book to friends who are considering taking up the sport. I also read it every winter.

David

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
a few other books that I like, variously (un)available

Bill McMillan, Dry Line Steelhead

Michael Baughman, A River Seen Right

Amato's various steelhead river journals provide some eye candy akin to long magazine articles

and a hearty second to Poul Jorgensens Salmon Fly Dressings - if you like tying durable flies

·
Registered
20 Posts
Salmon Fishing

I also purchased Hugh Falkus book on speycasting & quite enjoyed. I found at deep discount as well.

I would also suggest that you purchase his book Salmon Fishing. While there is a bit on casting, there is so much more on technique for Altantics.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Some others

Advanced Fly Fishing For Steelhead by Deke meyer
Tube Flies by Mark Mandell & Les Johnson
Steelhead Flyfishing by Trey Coombs

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Best book I've read in a long time is Tom McGuanes "The Longest Silence".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts