Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have any fishing experience with LHW perfects either old or new. I did some research a while back and it seems that Hardy never made a true left hand wind perfect where the spool comes off the opposite way, but simply converted RHWs with the addition of the retaining screw. At one point, Bill Archuleta who does warranty work for Hardy told me that with a good fish on a LHW, the screw breaks and this is the most frequent repair for a LHW perfect. He also said the newer ones have the same design. I would love to have a LHW spey size perfect, but have given up on Bill's advice . But I see that some of you are using older LHWs, and I see the new ones and continue to drool!! Anybody have any troubles out there with either the old or new? Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Yes there are true LHW perfects out there. I had a chance to buy one two years ago at the low low price of 1100 pounds!!!!!!I have a few of the newer(80's) LhW's and a 50's era that i have switched over to lefty. I have played a lot of nice fish on this one and have never had a problem with it,,, or are there any signs that the reel may fail during a hot run,,etc. The only problem i have heard is that the spool may loosen and spin out when a righty is reversed to lefty,,, but as i said,, havent had any indication that this could happen.
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you are stupid enough to keep winding in as a fish pulls off line you may have problems....................but you would not be that stupid ........would you?

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Vintage-Hardy-PERFECT-3-1-8-Fly-REEL-Left-Hand_W0QQitemZ120051517241QQihZ002QQcategoryZ23818QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120051517241

·
124 Posts
Why fight it? LW vs RW

I love my hardy perfects. Becasuse of these reels, I have switched from winding with my left hand to winding with my right hand. Winding is no longer the issue. The issue for me now is if I am going to fish my Mint 4 1/4 1912 perfect that doesn't even have a scratch on it. :chuckle:

-Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts