Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a college student and I am going to be purchasing a new steelhead rod in the next few weeks, and I'd like to go with either a spey or switch rod. I've got about $300 to spend on a full setup, so buying used seems like a good idea. There are only a few worthwhile options in that price range when buying new. This will also be my starter rod. I spent a season chasing steelies with a 1hander, and my shoulder and entire right side hated me for it. Time to move up to something bigger.

I'll basically be fishing mostly medium sized water, with the occasional trip to smaller tribs and also to some of the larger local rivers (Sandy, Deschutes, Clackamas, Lewis, etc.). I don't mind learning on a switch rod, and that seems like the most ideal setup, but I will basically take what I can get. It needs to be versatile, but I will likely spend most of my time swinging flies. I'd ideally like something that will throw a skagit, as some of the rivers have very little backcasting room. Fish will typically be from 5-12lbs, with the odd trip to the Umpqua for the big winter fish.

I will likely put a couple dozen fishing days on it from now until March, so rest assured, it would be going to a good home :)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
For the 5-12 lb fish, I think you might like a 7 wt rather than an 8. It will cover the summer and winter options just as well and should be a bit lighter, too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
spey package

How does this sound. A Redington CPX 12'9" 7 weight 4 piece spey rod.
A Guideline Watergrip XL large arbor reel. Reel looks like the Galvan Torque.
Reel loaded with backing and a Scientific Anglers Spey Shorthead WF-7-F
fly line. All in very good condition. $300 includes shipping.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Gary

The Gary Anderson, sponsor, switch and short speys are fantastic. His Explorer and Novarods series offer just what you are looking for at a great price point.

Lots of good karma too

·
Jimfishon
269 Posts
Rod

I have a Cabela's LST 11'6" 8wt 4 pcs, Switch/Spey, cast a 550 Skagit a mile. I'm asking $150.00 obo, plus actual shipping cost. The rod is new.

jimfishon

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does this sound. A Redington CPX 12'9" 7 weight 4 piece spey rod.
A Guideline Watergrip XL large arbor reel. Reel looks like the Galvan Torque.
Reel loaded with backing and a Scientific Anglers Spey Shorthead WF-7-F
fly line. All in very good condition. $300 includes shipping.
That sounds pretty amazing actually. I will shoot you a PM monday when my paycheck comes in. I've got a couple other feelers out, but that is a great deal.

Jimfishon: Cabelas is having a pretty ridiculous sale on those right now... $139.99 new in their bargain cave. I was looking at either the 7wt switch or 13' spey. They are at the top of my list if I decide to go new. Either one of those or the LLBean 8wt setup, with reel and line for $299.99.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went with henderson's setup. I have to say, I did not anticipate getting nearly this nice of a rod/reel for my price range. I am sitting here staring at it and I couldn't be happier. Time to go learn some spey casts and catch some steel!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts