Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Tanner's LBT (little brown trout)(hooked a trout the first time it was ever cast into a river!)

A partridge and ice-dubbed soft hackle (hooked my largest landlock salmon to date on it:

Deep Green Beauty, which has hooked brook, brown and rainbow trout and landlocked and atlantic salmon:

A simple purple and chrome streamer that landlocks and atlantic salmon kelts seem to like (this particular one had been through the wringer with a few kelts):

Gary

·
Registered
15 Posts
two handed trout

Here's a few of the flies I swing for trout. I like larger flies, but will also swing soft hackles and wets.
I also frequently add on an egg pattern. I know some may think it's not "pure" but oh well, it works.
Rod is a no brand single hand 11ft 5 wt, I built into a switch rod. Sage 108m reel, and ambush 6wt line.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cowildbill,

Always wanted try swinging a little pink worm like you have pictured. What is that tied with? And what's your experience swinging that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pink worm

That is tied with trilobal? antron chenile. It's at its best on lake run rainbows in the spring. It will catch fish during the winter, but they tend to be stockers or smallmouth. If I give in to the "I just want to catch a fish" feeling I'll put that on trailed with a soft egg pattern. Stockers can be fun for awhile!
The river I fish in the winter is a tailwater with flows around 70cfps. There's a lot of slow to almost still water, and the state regularly puts in stockers. If I can't get the big fish I want, I will, on occasion slum.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Tanner's LBT (little brown trout)(hooked a trout the first time it was ever cast into a river!)

A partridge and ice-dubbed soft hackle (hooked my largest landlock salmon to date on it:

Deep Green Beauty, which has hooked brook, brown and rainbow trout and landlocked and atlantic salmon:

A simple purple and chrome streamer that landlocks and atlantic salmon kelts seem to like (this particular one had been through the wringer with a few kelts):

Gary
Gary, just love that first fly....simple and effective.

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
261 Posts
Any chance you could post a clearer pic of the fly? Looks like something I should have in my box!
I agree! It looks like it is a great little crayfish imitation for the lower Madison River!!

Lawrence S

·
AJS Reels
421 Posts
Wet Fly Detail

Size 8 Tiemco 7999 , shank has a wrap of lead wire along its full length.2 ginger beer rubber legs per side. I'm not a perfectionist with my ties but they catch fish.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Could you

Post a complete material list

Reactions: glcaddis

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,265 Posts
I use a lot of different flies, over the past couple years I've strayed into tubes and God forbid I even use weighted Sculpin patterns. I had given up weighted flies for years but came back, well because I had to in a way........... But, they fly below served for many years first in its original recipe and since 2006 in the adaptation I make now.

All species all the time, Ard's Nine Three;

This is the original version, The Nine Three;
No weight just a regular streamer and I was able to fool trout and salmon for a long time with them.

Ard

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm seeing some very nice feather wing streamers posted in this thread.
Not intending to hijack here, but I've always had problems with these wings getting caught in the bend of the hook even when I try to set them high.........nothing more aggravating. As a result, I usually tie my streamers with a hair wing...bucktail , calftail, etc. They don't seem to get caught around the hook as much. Would anyone like to offer me some enlightenment here?

·
AJS Reels
421 Posts
Material list

Post a complete material list
Hook prep- fine lead wire/optional
Tail- generous bunch natural rabbit with length to it
Rib-gold oval tinsel
Body- dubbed loop natural rabbit, get some dark tip stuff in there
Throat-uv orange ice dub
Collar-dark mallard 2 turns
Legs-ginger beer rubber 2 each side
Flash- fine flat gold 2 strands on top
Wing- hen pheasant natural, reasonably stiff/rigid feather to flatten and shape fly

Order of the materials above is the sequence of tying.
Hope it catches a few for those that try it.:)

Reactions: 1 More Cast

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Many Thanks

I would have never deconstructed based on the pic.. Great fly I am thinking monster browns on the North Platte

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,265 Posts
I'm seeing some very nice feather wing streamers posted in this thread.
Not intending to hijack here, but I've always had problems with these wings getting caught in the bend of the hook even when I try to set them high.........nothing more aggravating. As a result, I usually tie my streamers with a hair wing...bucktail , calftail, etc. They don't seem to get caught around the hook as much. Would anyone like to offer me some enlightenment here?
Hi Gregor,

You can shorten up a bit on wings for the flies that are to be fished, also part of the price of fishing these is that you must 'check your fly' occasionally. My own rule of thumb is to get a look at it every few swings. Actually after you are accustomed to using feather wings you'll be able to tell when you make a cast whether all is well with your fly. I can't be specific but you will know when there is something wrong. The sure fire method is to sweep it close enough so that you can see it every other cast.

When I lived in Pennsylvania I came up with this as my brown trout fly.

Wet look;

The stiff Jungle Cock feathers do not get into the hook bend and that dyed partridge tail wiggles like a small fish. I have more old pictures of that fly stuck in jaws than you would believe. These were spring creek and free stone browns not lake run fish and the fly out fished the Nine Three hands down. I just poster the Nine Three because few people would be interested in messing with the fly above. If you want the whole story behind the fly it is in this article complete with recipe :) The Answer

1 - 20 of 195 Posts