Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What lenght of tapered leader you guys using on your switch rods? I have an 11ft switch that I plan to use like a long SH flyrod, mostly nymph/indicator style. On my single hand rods I like to use a knotless tapered leader the same length as the rod (give or take a little).

Mike

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
To me it is fly size and fishing conditions which determine leader length in the first place. Longer 11 ft and up for small fly and when delicate fly landing is required. Short ~6 ft for big fly to aid line straightening. Also for very fast sinking line a shorter leader sinks fly better when fly is not weighted.

For Spey casting the lines which have long and fine front tapers don't require very long leader when line characters make anchor light but often lengthening leader lengthens the cast as well when whole casted line lengthens and fly has some weight and not too much bulk and pulls leader straight. I have used 17 ft leader with 12 ft rod when casting Scandi shooting head and weighted tube fly (or small Clouser etc. in salt water fishing).

For overhead casting I rarely use over 11 ft leader because casting becomes erratic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.