Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I got this problem too. The last thread with this topic never had closure.

Right bank, right hand up, wind downstream, snake roll and double spey, sink tips, 4' leader.

My sinktip ends up pointing upstream at the end of my cast. The loop to loop connection is pointing properly.

When I try to ease up on the snap out, I don't turn over, therefore I think it may be planar.

I can only imagine the fish rolling their eyes as my fly goes racing past.

thanks for the cure.

voodoofly

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Regarding the snake, I have had the same problem in the past - line follows the rod tip - likely what you are doing on the final roll when you bring the rod up to the firing position - your wrist rotates slightly so the palm faces outwards that kicks the tip a bit behind you and causes the line to flip upstream - need to really concentrate and keep the last lift in a straight plane.

I often notice a similar problem with single handed casters - on the back cast, instead of coming straight back they rotate around the shoulder and the wrist rotates outwards - the rod tip flips behind their head so when they come forward the line is right over the top of them

·
fly on little wing
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Rick,

I'll concentrate on keeping my wrists more locked.

Sometimes I get the hook on overhead casts as well.

I do know that the rod and reel wants to torque, but I hear that you don't want to have a death grip.

voodoofly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts