Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tailwater, so I imagine lots of small stuff under a bobber, but I was wondering if anyone has ever swung flies for trout at Lee's Ferry in the Grand Canyon?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Trouter925, I just PM'ed you a novel. Let me know if you have any questions and great choice on destination.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I have, but just for 1/2 hour as a novelty. The place the guides go is further up towards the dam, but there is a stretch of water assessable on foot (as you can guess, there is very little of that in the area :) ) you can explore from about the put-in at the campground there going down river. I don’t know if you would call most of it natural swing water, but it is an absolutely breathtaking area.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Been fishing 2+ years with Hydrogen 4 wt / 300 commando head and OPST tips (3) depending on flows 8K-17k cfs. RBs and browns 20 in + on olv brn and blk streamers. Have seen only one other TH fly fisher and I put in a lot of half days as live only 2 hrs away in Flagstaff. I fish mostly walkin section and occasionally upriver. Fly fishing GC is a must do just for the scenery.

·
registered text offender
1,361 Posts
Been fishing 2+ years with Hydrogen 4 wt / 300 commando head and OPST tips (3) depending on flows 8K-17k cfs. RBs and browns 20 in + on olv brn and blk streamers. Have seen only one other TH fly fisher and I put in a lot of half days as live only 2 hrs away in Flagstaff. I fish mostly walkin section and occasionally upriver. Fly fishing GC is a must do just for the scenery.

browns ? above the paria ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nope no browns in walk-in section. Browns up river. They shocked 4 mile a spawning ground for browns recently and floated 40 browns one a 32 incher. They released the big one and they fertilized other 39. For those wondering, the brown kill policy is because of protected humpback chub.

Your co-pilot looks like a Berner. Got a male Berner. We have one of countries top breeders in Flag and to brag a little ,ok a lot he is a AKC champion and now just studs. He makes more $$ than I do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice little write up in Swing the Fly 2019 volume two about swinging flies at Lee's Ferry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts