Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could I learn to speycast by just fishing or must I do a little practice casting on the side? Being an efficient soul I would like to get a little fishing time while perfecting my stroke. While fishing I can get in about 30 casts or so per hour. When I just practice casting I can get in more casts per hour. Then it comes down to the proper technique. I can cast all day for weeks on end repeating poor technique and not improve my casting ability. How about you really good casters out there? Do you need to practice once in a while? Since I am fortunate to live on the river, I keep my rod rigged up all the time and try to practice about a half hour or so every day. Some days I feel "on" and the load of the rod is just right. If the timing is off that is the time to work on it. Sometime I can correct myself and sometimes I must wait for another day. I also like to change lines and rods each week or so. Try the long line one week and the wincutter type another week. When I want to build up my ego a little I can use long long heads and floating line and try to send it out there. With all this I am still in the learning phase of spey casting. Jerry

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Shorten the learning curve by

getting some instruction early. That way you avoid the bad habits and get a big jump on those of us who learned by ourselves/fishing. Sure you can do it fishing and mostly by yourself, but it is a lot quicker and less painful to get some good instruction.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
???????????????????????????????????????

any fish where you live!???????????????????????,,,,i'm,,,,a,,,,,welll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you certain you're satisfied with ,,,,,uh,,,someone help me here,,at a loss for words,,,,,,,what about THE STINKIN" FISH, HONEY!,,o-k,,,,been a looooong monday,,,guess i better go,:eyecrazy: :confused: :whoa: :tsk_tsk: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Cabin Fever?

I think Hammer has cabin fever and needs to get outside and catch a fish.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Instruction

I would second what t_richerzhagen has said. Get some instruction early and then practice. Fishing is a good way to practice but you are not focused on casting but fishing. We know how to cast but still practice.
Get a good video and again practice.
Leroy.....................

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i did indeedy

get out to see water/air,daylight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thirty casts an hour,come on,,,pick it up,should be able to make at least 100 or 125 casts an hour after all we DO have a quota to adhere to remember, a double spey counts as two:chuckle:

·
Registered
43 Posts
learning to spey cast

hey wet fly GET TUITION. i messed about for 30 years before i noticed that my son and his friends were 10 times better than me after a weeks guided fishing with a top casting teacher in uk. in one hour that guy told me all my faults and what to practice. i now have 1 weeks guided fishing with him and a group at beginning of each season to correct little faults that creep in. i also watch all the videos!!! i also practise and practise. if you search on 'grampa spey' 10th thread down, 'the value of dry casting' you will see the lengths we go to! remember its not a hobby its A WAY OF LIFE.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Re: Cabin Fever?

t_richerzhagen said:
I think Hammer has cabin fever and needs to get outside and catch a fish.
Sigh ... you take him off the strong coffee and see what happens ..
:hehe:

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
From an intermidiate caster's perspective (maybe I am being kind to myself):D I have found that practice is a far better way to progress than simply fishing. But as eveyone has pointed out, get some instruction first, if possible.

When I am fishing, I am not at all concerned with anything except getting my fly where I need it and presenting as best I can. I don't care how it gets there, as long as it is fishing properly. Practice on the other hand, lets me focus on the fundamentals and on the casts themselves, rather than the fishing. I try to focus on one part of the cast, say forming a great D- Loop, or a smooth lift, and practice making that one part of the cast as perfect as I can make it. Then I take a break. If I practice until I get tired, I develop bad habits pretty quickly. Bit by bit, these practice sessions make the entire cast better. I am not sure this is the best way, but it has helped to improve my casting, both two handed and Single. Good luck:)

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,497 Posts
Wet Fly,

I think you were posting your question in the abstract as I have fished with you and seen you cast and you don't need any help.

For the new caster though, one on one is far better than videos or articles.

'tip

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Wet Fly

I didn't say anything when I first saw this.
But your better caster then most people will ever BE!:smokin:

I agree with sinktip! (I can't believe it agree with him)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
and eat one ! a big one!!!

dug out the big ol' aluminum hunnert cup coffee pot this weekend,,,,wife get's me up at 3:30 all week,,work all day,,kids keep me tinkering on their cars late,,,when those Rogue springer's hit,,i'm outa' here! then,,you folks can talk teqnic" all ya's wantsta!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hehe:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Jerry

I will second that your already pretty proficient with the twohander as I have fished behind you on the stilly in front of Georges place a few times. Since you do live on the river then its simple, just go out between chores every day and practice. An hour will do just fine buts its funny how time will fly when your having fun. I live on still water and try to get out every evening for some practice which is really just a chance to unwind after a long day at work. I don't work on casting much while fishing as I am there to fish and enjoy the river, if my casting is a little off that day then so be it no big deal I will work on those things at home. Have fun thats what its all about:)

Brian

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Brian and Jerry,
You guys are lucky you can step
out your back door and practice.
I usually only have saturdays free
so I go fishing. I don't get to work
on things I want to because when
I am on the river I want to fish.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Brian

I don't think I have seen you off in your casting - all those tight pointy loops. Hope you are catching some fish. All the practice you do, not only helps unwind, but really keeps the grove in place.

Does the size of the rod make a difference in the practice? Is a light setup better because you can use it longer without getting tired and because you have to be careful not to overpower it? Or is a heavy system better, if you have the option?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Changing rods and lines.

I think changing rod lengths and weights really helps my overall casting effectiveness. With timing being needed to make a nice cast. I can get into a certain groove by using the same length rod all the time. Changing rod lengths and lines forces to change my timing a little with each combination. Over time this will improve my casting. Jerry

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Casting practice

Wet Fly,
I think that for a beginner, the best thing to do is practice when you do not have the opportunity to fish. When you can fish, then practice while fishing! Actual instruction is also very important, otherwise one can "waste" considerable time trying to figure out all the little "ins and outs" of casting that are not so apparent from watching videos.

Also, a beginner should stick with one casting outfit until they have become comfortable with the basics of casting. Each time one changes their rod and line, then they have changed - to varying degrees - the timing, range of motion, and line placement required to make a cast work. Casting a 54' line on a 12 1/2' rod is quite a bit different than casting a 54' line on a 15' rod. This is one of the "faults" that I have found with commercially available lines - one length of line is expected to accomodate a myriad of rod lengths.

Of course, you are not a beginning caster, so these things do not apply! Personally, if I cannot get out on the river for a period of more than 2 or 3 days, then I will be out on the back lawn grass casting for at least an hour.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't know a sport that is purely intuitive. Their are quirks to every game which are counter-intuitive but happen to be correct and must be learned by long trial and error(and somtimes never learned), OR to cut ones learning curve by being taught by an instructor or video that that intuitive move you have been making is WRONG. My point: get all the good instruction you can get/afford as early as you can. I played golf for years and pounded out balls on the range trying to improve. I did improve(7), but promised myself that if I ever took up a new sport, I would seek the best personal instruction early on. Well, I did, and I did. As to practice, I don't think Tiger Woods hits 600 balls a day on the range, but I bet he still hits a bunch. Instruction early, practice, and the actual time on the stream should be more fun. Afterall, if our sport promises maybe one fish per day, we sure as hell better injoy the casting!

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Wet Fly

Went to your house today.
You had a rod in your hand.
It seems like every time I come over, you have a rod in your hand!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Learning curve

After casting on my own for a couple of years I finally took a class from Dana. By this time Dana spent most of his time correcting my many bad habits. Being a slow learner I need much instruction and much practice. Brian, That is why my rod is always put together. Jerry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts