Spey Pages banner

Learning the Single Spey Cast

8K views 70 replies 22 participants last post by  SurfSkagit 
Botsari, that second video of yours features a 47' (32' head + 15' tip) sink tip line, Gaelforce's Equalizer Extended Multi Tip (EEMT). By the looks of it, a sink tip (not the floater) is looped to the head, and that current isn't fast, so a high initial lift would be required to get that tip surfaced. But the sweep shows a lot of incline a la Bruce Kruk. Observations, observations, observations ...

Yes, different strokes for different folks ... Here are two great examples of no dip, incline sweep (try slowing playback to twenty-five percent for easier study). Lastly, the ah-ha moment for me using this method was observing how the lift need not be so high, how the rod can be flatter on the lift, that the line can be picked up via a flatter rod angle by being slow and gentle at the start before gradually speeding up into the sweep. You'll notice that when the sweep begins, because it's an incline sweep, a secondary lift pulls even more line off the water as more tension is applied on the sweep's pull-back. This enables the flatter lift angle at all and the avoidance of the high lift. Provided the initial angle of the rod is enough, the continuation of this angle into the sweep eventually pulls the fly out of the water and sets up the gentle anchor touchdown, so it's the incline sweep that makes the fly airborne. The elevation of the fly's flight tops out at maybe only a foot or so off the water (a low flight with a gentle landing) ... that was it for me, that's when it became easy. I have yet to see a video that shows what I hope I accurately described:

Okay, finally! In that Simon vid of Gerard throwing 190, I can see Gerard using a shotgun lift (initial lift) and a second lift of the line on the tug or start of the sweep before the "fly"/yarn goes airborne during the inclining sweep. If you slow it down to 25% playback it can be seen more clearly, happens between the three and five second marks. Great stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.