Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally tie my own tapered leaders and I use the Airflo sinking leaders. I've read that spey casting requires a leader the length or close to the length of the rod. Mike Maxwell has a recipe for 10foot leaders that is essentially what I tie for single handed floating line fishing.

Any body have recommendations or leader recipes to share?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Leaders for Polytips

For a sinking poly leader, like a sinkd tip, you do not need a long leader. I would place a loop in the poly leader, then attach a "tippet" to the poly leader with a loop in the tippet. I would use a diameter silghtly less than the core of the polyleader and probably another piece the diameter I wanted to use to attache the fly (Loop 15# maxima to the poly leader and use a double surgeons to attach 10# maxima to attach the fly.)

The tips, and poly leaders produce more "stick" so you do not need as long a leader. I would use a longer leader for the intermediate polyleader.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
leader

on the deschutes i fish a floating line with a floating 10ft poly leader. i put a loop in that and loop 3-4ft of 10lb maxima to that. i use a 13ft spey rod and it turns over fine. when i fish sink tip i use a 10 ft airflo poly extra strong,super extra fast sink with about 2-4 ft of leader of 10 to 18 lb test. same spey rod.works for me.
beau

·
Registered
301 Posts
David1123

Does anyone know how well a 12-15' straight 15-20# leader and 24" of tippet turns over a small to medium size trout fly?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts