Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Have you tried tying your own tapered, Pretty easy to do and can set up a jig to expedite the process, prior to any major trip I spend a couple evenings make up various configurations for various situations.

There are also a number of formulas out there

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I do tie my own a lot. I also add/modify some. I was, when I can get them, using S/A 12' tapered Salmon/Steelhead leaders and adding to the front and back. Or just one or the other. The only thing about tying my own is two things, if you don't have the right material the leader can be limp and I find early in the season here the river has a lot of weed and it gets hung up on the knots. A full tapered long leader is just cleaner.

Dan

·
Administrator
17,812 Posts
Hey Dan, those look really decent. Did you purchase locally ??
My only concern is the tippet strength ... 21lb is a bit much for some of the small flies a toss.

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The diameter looks ok and you could just add on a couple feet of tippet if needed. I ordered them out of Sherbrooke Qc.

Dan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have you tried tying your own tapered, Pretty easy to do and can set up a jig to expedite the process, prior to any major trip I spend a couple evenings make up various configurations for various situations.

There are also a number of formulas out there
I make my own furled leaders. Far superior then the tapered section leaders imo . Turn over flies great, no memory and can fish dries or wets. Made a jig and a little
Machine for them. Gave a few out for testing purposes and all the guys I gave them to have lived them.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The above will be my project this winter... I am actually considering a commercial venture

Reactions: eriefisher

·
Administrator
17,812 Posts
The diameter looks ok and you could just add on a couple feet of tippet if needed. I ordered them out of Sherbrooke Qc.

Dan
I may order a couple and add some tippet ... they may be a good option for grease lining a wet fly.
One of the reasons I tie my own leaders is that manufacturers don't make tapered leaders long enough.
My built leaders aren't complicated at all anymore, usually a butt section, a mid section and a tippet section. 3 pieces of mono and 3 knots consisting of a Double Surgeons Loop at the butt, a Blood Knot from butt section to mid section and another Blood Knot from mid section to tippet section. If I get "technical" now days, or wanting a lighter tippet, I add a second transition section between mid section and tippet. This is where I introduce Surgeon's Loops between the second mid section and the Tippet section.

Mike

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Just as an addiction to this thread, I tie my own and have been going shorter: Fished this week with one about 10 feet long, maybe just over, on an 11’3 6 wt rod). That one stepped down from 20 lbs (Perfection loop on back end) to 15 (Blood knot connection with Double Surgeros on front end) to 10 lb *Double Surgeons on back end). 3 ft, 2 ft, a little over 5 ft....something like that).

Turned over great with Muddlers or Spades.

I also have some off-brand commercial 9 wt leaders that I cut the finer tips off, back to 5.5 ft or so, and add 5 ft of 10 lb Ultra Green.

I really like those as well.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
These arrived today. Nice and long for the long lines. Can't wait to give them a go. View attachment 369283

Dan
Have you had a chance to cast them?
These look like they are just hand tied! What does one need a jig or machine to build hand-tied leaders?
Anyhow - Checked them out at Loop tackle and they don't give much detail other than whats on the packet. Wondering how many step-down sections are used to put these together. I tie my own also. Very simple formula: 5' heavy butt section, 10' transitional section to 5 - 6 feet of tippet. If you can call it a formula.
I use blood knots and nail-knot the leader directly to a full floater. Or with perfection loop like these - in case of multi-tip lines.

Furled leaders have fewer knots than hand-tied leaders do. This is where the jig is handy in twisting the material. But I always felt that the furling itself created more "stick" than an ordinary tapered leader. Too much stick actually when spey casting and causing me to work harder.

·
Administrator
17,812 Posts
Vic, your leader formula is interesting : 25-50-25
Mine is one of two formulas: 60-20-20 and 40-30-30. The latter is for smaller flies and delicate presentations.I tried the straight piece of mono and tippet idea and it didn't work as I hoped, well at least not as nice as my other formulas. I never have tried furled leaders either.

Those Loop leaders don't look hand tied to me, if they are, then I'll pass on them. Dan can you confirm??

Mike

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was playing with them yesterday. They seem to turn over pretty good. No step down just a full taper from the perfection loop to the fishing business end. As mentioned, I do tied a lot of my own leaders with various formulae but I was looking for something long without all the knots. I think these will fit the bill, at least until I start needing to cut them back for one reason or another.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Vic, your leader formula is interesting : 25-50-25
Mine is one of two formulas: 60-20-20 and 40-30-30. The latter is for smaller flies and delicate presentations.I tried the straight piece of mono and tippet idea and it didn't work as I hoped, well at least not as nice as my other formulas. I never have tried furled leaders either.

Those Loop leaders don't look hand tied to me, if they are, then I'll pass on them. Dan can you confirm??

Mike

No. One piece, fully tapered.
Oh. One piece tapered. Got it. Thanks.The packaging threw me off.
I haven't seen many longer 15+ tapered leaders in a while. Rio used to have them to 15' at one point. Now Loop obviously. A 12 foot tapered leader to 18 lbs tapered was the longest I could find for a while. I would just extend it to length with tippet.

Yeah Mike : 25-50-25 (roughly) works well for me. I have 5.5 foot arm-span so its easy to judge one strip for the butt section, two for the transition and one strip of tippet for a total length somewhere from 18 to 22. Just for full floating lines of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts