Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey...
How long should my leader be with a sink tip? Fishing about 9-18 foot of water, using a airflo multi tip #5 tip, with flies around 2 1/2 - 5 inches long, there not weighted fly. (Marabou) not looking for a extra length, but just a ball park. Most of the water is frog water with not a lot of speed. Hunting steelhead and summer runs. Yes my next Question would be; what test line, 8, 10, or 15. Thanks for any input.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Personally for sinktip work, my leaders are between 3 and 5'. Usually 4' and I will only legthen to 5' in low and extreamly clear conditions. Size would depend on the fish you are after but of the three you mentioned, 10# (if Maxima) would be my pick although I would not hesitate to go 15# in some circumstances.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
as far as test goes; summer 8lb., winter 10 or 12lb. I never go over 12. I would rather have the leader break then have a loop or a splice give way.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I keep mine really simple and have been using the leader recipe from Marc Bachman for years. I only use Maxima Ultra Green and tie the following:
15" of 25#
15" of 15#
30" of 10#
Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts