Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for fishing in the N CA and Oregon what size leaders are you guys using? When i bought my Loop, they sent me 0X and 1X, but said I could exchange for others if I needed to. What are your recommendations for steelies.

Andre

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
10 # Maxima

I ususlly tie my own leadersof Maxima with approximately a 60 -20 - 20 formula. They are about 15 feet in length and end in 10 # Maxima. I will go to 8 # or flurocarbon if the fish are not interested when it is very clear. The Deschutes has enough color that 10 # almost always works.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Andre,
For fall on the Trinity and Klamath I typically taper my leaders down to 1x tippet, it may sound heavy but even half pounders generally aren't leader shy.

The heavier tippet allows you to put a bit more leverage on them for a quick catch and release. If the water's really clear or low, I'll use leaders down to 2x. It's more than strong enough to handle our adults if your patient and still gets the job done.

Like Ted, it's always Maxima for me. I make my own leaders and have found no other material has the right stiffness to turn over steelhead flies (weighted & unweighted) in a breeze like Maxima.

As for winter fishing on the Smith, Mad, Eel, or Mattole, I taper the leader down to a 0x tippet. Tight lines, John:smokin:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Leaders

For everything you wanted to now about leaders (and lots you DIDN'T want to know, as well), Go to globalflyfisher.com and check out Leadercalc (left margin).

It will even custom design 'em for you.

BobK

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Speynut (John) is that a damn cigar I see you lighting up!!! Make sure you get that out of your system - it is a long drive to Idaho with no lighting up!!!

RJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rick,
You will be pleased to note a vintage selection has just arrived in time for our Idaho run. Unlike some folks I know, rumor has it that guides in Idaho truly appreciate that pleasant wafting aroma emanating from a fine cigar. You could be in for a rough go unless you keep your distance at a spey cast upwind of the guides and I! John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts