Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be most grateful to anyone how could help. I am currently fishing a sage IIIe 7136 with a windcutter 6/7/8 (floating) (I think?) Most of my fishing is making fairly short casts (50-70 ft) with fairly small flies (4-10's). I have searched this site for info on leader formulas and haven't found too much of a help. When casting into a wind, typically the line will for a decent loop, unroll but the leader will not straighten. Of course my casting probably has a lot to do with this, as I can, if all the stars are alighed, overhead cast and throw a super nice tight loop that turns over into a minor gale. Unfortunately, the slightest misstep on my part results in tailing loop nightmeres. I have been using a 60-20-20 formula with a butt of 30lb chameleon. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, I haven't payed around with them yet, but I think I will. The only thing that weirds me out about polyleaders is knotting the poly to a maxima tippet. Also what type of connection do you use between the flyline and leader. I am not a big fan of looping on my leaders, can they be nail notted like Mono, or are loops the only option.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've been using the polyleaders for 4 years now and I nail knot 20 lb Maxima directly to them - no problem.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Non-slip Loop

I have been using the non-slip loop in the polyleader core. For the tippet I tie a non-slip loop in 15# Maxima then a double surgeon's to 12# or 10 # Maxima. It has worked very well. I am a little surprised that Kush has not pulled a coating off the polyleader with a big fish and a nail knot. I know that happens with regular flylines. Perhaps the mono core keeps that from happening.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I haven't had any such problems - with the polyleaders or regular flylines (having said that I' sure the next fish I hook will do it :whoa: ), I guess I tie good Nail knots.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Leader Formula

Dr. Swing,

This formula is based on the 60-20-20 principle and uses #30 Maxima Chameleon for the butt section (Maxima Ultragreen for the mid and tippet sections), like the leader that you have described. I use it with the WC 7/8/9 and a 13' rod. I have found that it turns over very well even in a moderate wind. Earlier this Fall I used this leader to cast #4 Sparkle Buggers (weighted underbody with beadhead) and had no problem turning them over with a reasonable loop shape. It should work well with the fly sizes that you are casting at the distances that you mentioned. Also, try stopping your forward cast higher and more abruptly to better transfer the energy from your line into your leader.

Formula:

60" #30 M.C.-30" #25 M.C.-15" #20 M.U.-15" #15 M.U.-12" #12 M.U.-24" #10 M.U.=13'

River Rat

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! Yes, the casting is always an issue, especially when it is howlin' W. The poly leaders sound like they are worth a shot, when it thaws, I will try them out.
River Rat: The leader you described works well for big flies, but I am often using 2-3x tippet for size 6-12 flies swinging for trout. When I build a similar leader tapering down to these tippet sizes, it seems to lose its gusto. Stopping the rod sooner and quicker with more consistancy is just one aspect of my casting which needs improvement, but it is a good thing to remember.

One more ? on the Poly leaders. I assume that the lighter spey leaders suitable for a 7wt spey are tapered down to a diameter for steelhead sized tippets. Any suggestions on how to make them work with smaller stuff.
Thanks again for all of your expert advice:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts