Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Echo Ohs 10’4” 6wt, Rio Single handed Spey
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10’4” Echo Ohs 6wt, and a full Floating Rio single Handed spey line, #5 (200 gr), what lenght of leader should I use?, I usually fish streamers, and any Other recommendations or comments u might have is welcome:)

·
Registered
Beulah switch, OPST micro skagit w/ Marquis, Echo DH w/ Alex Martin
70 Posts
I have a 10’4” Echo Ohs 6wt, and a full Floating Rio single Handed spey line, #5 (200 gr), what lenght of leader should I use?, I usually fish streamers, and any Other recommendations or comments u might have is welcome:)
Welcome to the forum, ATS! I looked up La Union out of curiosity, is the Bueno River as bueno as it sounds? Looks like there could be lots of great fishing down there.
As far as the leaders, I don't think it is as critical for this application but you may feel some difference depending on the weight and size of your streamers. Generally 4-6' of leader is fine. For Trout Spey I usually start with what I can pull in one stretch of both arms (about 6') and then after changing or losing some flies it eventually gets down to 4' and I change it about then.
Hasta y bueno suerte!

·
Registered
Echo Ohs 10’4” 6wt, Rio Single handed Spey
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum, ATS! I looked up La Union out of curiosity, is the Bueno River as bueno as it sounds? Looks like there could be lots of great fishing down there.
As far as the leaders, I don't think it is as critical for this application but you may feel some difference depending on the weight and size of your streamers. Generally 4-6' of leader is fine. For Trout Spey I usually start with what I can pull in one stretch of both arms (about 6') and then after changing or losing some flies it eventually gets down to 4' and I change it about then.
Hasta y bueno suerte!
Thanks Jimbo, well it is indeed, common to see some 40lb Chinook, and i’ve heard that rainbow trout grow up to 20lb even, and some native fish of Chile called Zebra Trout (Aplochiton zebra) [ very hard to catch, i’ve managed to get only 7 of these in all my time fly fishing, and I fish 5 days of the week, anyway, they are such a beautifull fish and so slimy since they don’t have scales, very docile tough] Río Bueno has some major problema sadly, furtive net “fishermans” , these men install giant nets and catch everything in it’s path, since then, a lot of record trout and salmon has dissapeared, and Chile’s Sernapesca ( something like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service) can’t monitor every little inch of the river, but it’s still a good river, and my local river (Río llollhelhue) has some decent size browns, hope to see u someday here in Chile catching your brown trout of a lifetime, thanks for the leader rec
Buena suerte amigo!

·
Registered
Beulah switch, OPST micro skagit w/ Marquis, Echo DH w/ Alex Martin
70 Posts
Thanks Jimbo, well it is indeed, common to see some 40lb Chinook, and i’ve heard that rainbow trout grow up to 20lb even, and some native fish of Chile called Zebra Trout (Aplochiton zebra) [ very hard to catch, i’ve managed to get only 7 of these in all my time fly fishing, and I fish 5 days of the week, anyway, they are such a beautifull fish and so slimy since they don’t have scales, very docile tough] Río Bueno has some major problema sadly, furtive net “fishermans” , these men install giant nets and catch everything in it’s path, since then, a lot of record trout and salmon has dissapeared, and Chile’s Sernapesca ( something like the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service) can’t monitor every little inch of the river, but it’s still a good river, and my local river (Río llollhelhue) has some decent size browns, hope to see u someday here in Chile catching your brown trout of a lifetime, thanks for the leader rec
Buena suerte amigo!
Wow! It sounds fantastic down there!!! I would call it the Rio Mucho Bueno, but it is sad to hear about the illegal netting. We have poaching here too, but not on that scale (maybe in the ocean, but not so much on the rivers). I am looking you up if I am heading down (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts