Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When skating flies, what leader setup do you use? I'm worried that I've not found an adequate balance between strength, stealth, and presentation.

I use both my Echo Glass 3wt switch and a graphite 5wt switch. Any thoughts on different leaders between the two?

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Just what I do... may not work for others

TTL I like to go a rod length or maybe a foot or two longer(for extra stealth). Regular non fluorocarbon leader but somewhat stout tippet of 4X fluorocarbon at the very lightest end and sometimes 2X fluorocarbon for low light situations. I know fluorocarbon sinks but not really when there is a water skier on the end of it. It seems to have a little better shock resistance/knot strength. That may not have been the case in the past but I think the technology has gotten better.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
depends on the line and size/bulk of the fly i'm using. scandi : 1.25-1.5x rod length. short/midbelly : rod length or slightly less. dont use skagit much, but after looping the floating tip to the head (tip is a must imo) no more than rod length. i like a butt that matches the flex of the line tip and no more than 3 feet of tippet, usually 1 or 2x down to sz 10 flies.

what line style are you using ?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Airflo 10 ft. floating poly-leader with 3-4 ft. Maxima Chameleon, 12- 10 lb. test, knotted to 3-4 ft. of 8, 6, or 4 lb. Ultragreen as a tippet, depending on fly size and conditions.

Hope this helps you,

-Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, fellas. As I sometimes switch over to nymphing with my 3wt, I've been throwing a standard WF line. It is almost certainly a casting issue, but I struggle to turn over long, fine leaders with the Echo Glass.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree w/m mike 1.25x1.5 times rod length for leader regardless of rod. A tapered mono leader will do. What kind of line makes a difference. You mention WF. Is that a single handed line? If so, you'll want apx. three line sizes up to properly load a rod for Spey casts. A 3wt single handed line on a 3wt Rod won't load enough for good Spey casts IMHO.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
I'm here with BB.

Airflo 10 ft. floating poly-leader with 3-4 ft. Maxima Chameleon, 12- 10 lb. test, knotted to 3-4 ft. of 8, 6, or 4 lb. Ultragreen as a tippet, depending on fly size and conditions.

Hope this helps you,

-Bill
People get carried away with 'what leader.' Best fisherman I've ever knew: '9 foot is all you need, but your dog may disagree.' Carry 6-8 and 10 pound test. A king Salmon got the better of me once. Once.

fae

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
you might try posting in the rod section "line recomendations for (insert your rod model here)" you will find lots of different suggestions for lines. for shorter, lighter rods, i like scandi for skating flies. keep in mind, some of the really bulky flies may need a heavier line to cast well than a 3wt rod will handle. and that goes for single, or double handed rods.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree w/m mike 1.25x1.5 times rod length for leader regardless of rod. A tapered mono leader will do. What kind of line makes a difference. You mention WF. Is that a single handed line? If so, you'll want apx. three line sizes up to properly load a rod for Spey casts. A 3wt single handed line on a 3wt Rod won't load enough for good Spey casts IMHO.

I should have been more clear. I'm throwing a WF7. Seems to work well for the short(ish) casts I need from this rod.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
If you like to tie your own, try this (should work on both of your setups):

Maxima Chameleon butt/mid section (put a perfection loop on each end of this section)- join sections with blood knots
#30 - 3'
#25 - 2'
#20 - 6"
#15 - 6"

Maxima Ultra green tippet section:
(loop) #12 - 6"
#10 - 6"
#8 - 6"
#6 (.009) - 30" (for a 2x leader) go finer if desired like #5 (.008) for a 3x leader, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.