Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Loving the Nextcast FF and WA lines, but wondering what kind/length of polyleaders or T-materials your using with your setup? Thanks, in advance.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,506 Posts
I've been fishing the 7/8 WA55 all winter. 90% of my time has been split between two setups: 15' Rio Type 6 8 weight tip and a 15' Riop Type 8 10 weight tip.

The WA handles both with no problems although the 10 weight does require a bit different stroke. I've been meaning to pick up a type 8 in 8 weight but haven't got around to it yet.

The rest of the time has been a 15' Type 3 8 weight tip.

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane ......
938 Posts
99 percent of the time I use a mono dry leader the length of the rod I'm using. The few times I use an int. poly leader, it's 15' length on rods over 13' and a 10' poly leader on rods less than 13'. That seems to work well for me.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,506 Posts
Leader Length

Realized I likely misunderstood what you were asking.

For tips work I have run 4-5' of 12# Maxima.
For floating, 12-15' of stepped down Maxima

I have thrown 10' Airflo floating polyleaders with 5-6' of mono. 14' polys worked but were sluggish. I would not throw a sinking poly off unless used as a tip.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gents for the replies! :)
Using 15ft polyleaders and not getting quite the turnover I'm hoping for as it often collapses into a pile of mess. Wind doesn't help I guess... Which is weird coz 15ft of T3 works perfectly on the WAs.

·
Hacker
616 Posts
I just use a 60:20:20 mono leader out of Maxima on my FF45 and 55. I have a WA45 and I use the supplied floater or airflo poly's for sink with the floating tip off.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,080 Posts
Depends on the rod and the presentation

For fishing near the surface, swinging small wets and similar situations, I used a leader that is 1.5 times rod length. With heads and other sunken applications I drop back to rod length or much shorter for deep flies.

A WA45 on a Beulah 1327 lays out an 18' leader with ease.

·
Hacker
616 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Thanks, gents for the replies! :)
Using 15ft polyleaders and not getting quite the turnover I'm hoping for as it often collapses into a pile of mess. Wind doesn't help I guess... Which is weird coz 15ft of T3 works perfectly on the WAs.
This will be super counterintuitive, but try it-- you'll see...
On FFs, try an 18'+ mono leader, but use a less aggressive forward stroke.
My FFs only pile up when I'm trying too hard. They generate such line speed that problems arise when I hit it too early and too hard in the forward cast.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I've only got a few outings with a FF45, but would agree with Spaz. I played with a hand tied leader til I got turnover I liked and it ended up about 18 1/2 ft.

·
loco alto!
3,075 Posts
not my usual, but I won't hesitate to drop to 10' if conditions warrant (heavy wind, bushy fly) ... it is worth experimenting

·
Registered
631 Posts
I agree Steve, it's always worth experimenting. I have not tried 18ft leaders on any of the nextcast heads as of yet. I'm gonna give it a try. One Thing I have been doing for a couple years now on the 45ft heads is running a short section of 50lb maxima for the butt section and it works incredibly well. Alot of times in the spring and summer I don't want to deal with sinktips I'll just but on a moderately weighted fly something tied on a loop bottle tube that gets the fly down a couple feet. The 50lb butt really helps turn these over and grains per foot it's about the same as the tip of the line so it's a smooth transition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts