Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering what people's opinions are on mono leader length for "touch and go" vs "sustained anchor" casts. It seems to me one could use a shorter leader for SA where the line plus leader on the water loads the rod as opposed to T&G where only the leader and perhaps the tip of the line has to form the anchor.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
If you put a mono leader on a skagit head, you might be in for a harsh experience- and have a tough time holding an anchor.

What kind of line do you have?

·
I only have 2 hands
176 Posts
Leader 1.5x rod length for t&g and for sa equal to rod length. But that's just me. I am simply a caveman with a taste for fish. I think rod action has something to do with leader length as well.......that is a redundant statement I know unga bunga. I have also cut lines back from the tip to throw heavy stuff,stupid long(2x rod length)leaders and (oh no not)boober rigs. But that's a habit I am trying to quit by learning some classic elements here at the mighty Speypages.Maybe a casting pro could chime in and help me chisel this wheel into a shape that rolls?:eek: Flourocarbon throws a whole new spin into the dryline speyniverse as well

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you put a mono leader on a skagit head, you might be in for a harsh experience- and have a tough time holding an anchor.

What kind of line do you have?
Spaz, I should have been more specific. I'm mostly using scandi T&G and SA. I do understand with skagit I would go shorter especially with sinkers.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
OK, Gregor, thanks for clarifying.
With that lining setup, I could go as short as 9ft for SA and up to 2X rod length for very high-energy scandi style with a compressed stroke.

The trick for fishing shorter leaders with scandi heads is to make sure a couplethree feet of line form part of the anchor. This requires either excellent, excellent anchor placement or SA technique. Some prefer a heavier head for that to make timing easier, but I usually don't. Very handy for tight quarters and brushy banks.

For a light, fast, energized scandi cast style, the longer leader is an advantage because it's easier to obtain a consistent anchor while still having all of the head in the D-loop. This can lead to addictively high line speeds.

That was an insightful and thoughtful question, I hope this answer provides you with some insight. There are widely varying opinions on this stuff:roll: but that's mine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My personal preference is 18-22ft no matter rod length. I do use any tips or sinking lines. Works for me. Forgot to mention that my leaders are tapered from 30 lb down to 8 lb in 5 lb increments. These I tie myself and I broke a tooth this morning tying one. That's the third tooth related incident while doing something fishing. Note to self stop using your teeth. Thanks goodness for dental insurance.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
dont think anyone mentioned adding a floating tip to a skagit head first. if not using a sink tip, an absolute must imo, to have a tip of some sort between a skagit head and leader. that, more than the leader, forms your anchor for sa casting. as long a leader as you are comfortable with on your floating tip. 9-12 feet works for me. my mono scandi leaders are 1.25 (bulky or heavy flies) or 1.5X (less bulky, unweighted flies) polys for me are always 10' plus enough tippet for about 1-1.25X rod length.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have no issues with either skagit and floating tip or scandi using 10 to 12 foot leaders and I interchange between T&G and SA casts - I do it all the time - will intersperse single speys with circles and snake rolls with DS or perry pokes - my casting stroke doe not change appreciably and I try to stick with very short strokes and rarely have issues with blown anchors

·
Registered
86 Posts
gt05254 - Doak Leaders

gt05252 - is Jerry Doak of Doak's on the Miramichi?

The knots on their home-tied Maxima leaders are tiny bits of beauty. After years of sturgeon (sic) knots, a handful of their leaders with wizard knots convinced me to spend time spitting on knots tightened between fingers and teeth. The result is 20 ft maxima leaders that roll out without nasty, up-line tags. So the length is right for T&G; dunno' what's right on SA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts