Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to make a leader what knot do you use to connect large diameter mono? (ie 25 lb to 20 lb) I use a blood knot but have trouble with the thick mono.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Back-to-back Uni knot will solve your problems. Just make sure that you use the correct number of turns or else the heavy mono might not seat properly.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with Mike. The perfection loop is hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Large diameter only.

The perfection loop is not the strongest, so I use it only for heavier mono, like the loopp to attach the leader to a braided loop on the line. For attaching a tipet, I use the non-slip loop knot which is close to 100% in strength. For joining heavier sections of mono, I use the blood knot with fewer turns, as already suggested. Just make sure you lub the knot and set it well initially.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I used to use the blood but the back to back uni is superior as it enables you to join varying diameters of line. Found it in Geoff Wilsons knot encyclopedia (great book by the way) and have been very impressed with it.

-sean

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another Vote for Back to Back Uni-Knot

As a confession, I've never really learned the blood knot. It's like a new invention every time I try it. The uni-knot serves for most anything, including a through the hook eye noose type tie for your flies. For 25# - - - 3 to four wraps, increasing the # of wraps with the reduction in line diameter. Back to my confession; the blood knot is cleaner ~ the cut line tabs do not protrud so akwardly as the uni-knot tabs. I believe the blood knot might be best for the tippet tie-on. Also; getting some water on those knots as a lubricant before they are cinched down sure helps the process.

G

G

·
For normal step down in diameter there is nothing cleaner than a blood knot. I use the back-to-back Uni when I make larger step down. This has replaced the surgeon's for me in this use. The perfection loop is best on the end of the butt section of the leader, but using it for every section would create a leader that would cast like chain link. The best knot to attach the tippet is the ligature knot, called the "simple blood knot" by Lefty Kreh and Mark Sosin in their book(s). The problem is if you use a close-to-100% tippet to fly knot (like a Pitzen or the non-skip mono loop) you now don't have any weak link where the line will break when you get hung up. Therefore, when fishing for steelhead deep, one almost has to pick a less secure knot to tie the fly on or use a regular blood knot or surgeon's knot to tie on the tippet. When fishing a floating line with unweighted flies that weak link is usually not necessary so I use a leader-to-tippet knot and tippet-to-fly knot that are as close to 100% as I can tie. It's also the reason I rarely use a turle knot to tie on the fly. Instead I use the Duncan hitch when tying on a fly having an up-eyed hook.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Most defintely the blood is a little smaller than the uni but I feel the uni is stronger and easier to deal with larger line sizes. I still do use the blood for fine leader to tippet connections. But now that 90% of my fishing is in saltwater for large fish I have become a uni convert. Esecailly whewn attaching heavy mono butt sections to fluoro as fluoro has such a small diameter.

-sean

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Sean,
Interesting that you are successful with double-uni on nylon/fluoro attachment. Although I have not tried with butt section diameters, doing so with trout and steelhead tippet diameters resulted in knots failing at the test jerk.

Is there a secret I am missing?

Chasing bigguns in the salt will make you a knot expert quickly.

Bob

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Dave, I also use blood knots with 3 turns in thick mono, then 4 in mid sections, increasing to 5 at the tippet. Sometimes I combine 3+4 turns on opposite sides of the knot when joining butt to mid sections, or 5+4 towards the tippet. Saliva for lubricant, or fly floatant.

G

·
Actually better than saliva or fly floatant is a Gehrke product called Knot Perfect. It is both a lubricant and an adhesive. I use it on almost every knot I tie, and it creates smaller knots (noticeably smaller) and seems to create a bond that is as effective as using "super" glue on every knot. Knot Perfect looks like a lot of fly floatants, but it is, in my opinion, a far better product for use on knots.

G

·
No. At least not in my opinion. Knot Perfect is a gel much like many of the fly floatants (it handles almost identically to Dave's Bug Floatant.) Knot Sense and UV Knot Sense are something that I use over a knot after it is already tightened. There may be more ways to use it, but that's what I do. I particularly like it to cover my backing to fly line knots and the knot attaching the permanent butt section to my fly line. I used to use two or three layers of Pliobond for this, but I've found that a one time shot with Knot Sense does as well or better. I think a small amount of it over any knot would improve the strength of that knot, but I prefer to use Knot Perfect as I'm closing down a knot.

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
maybe i'm a simpleton...

but continue to use a basic surgeon's swivel knot, two passes for the larger diameter stuff, or where there's a significant step down from one leader material to the other; three when it's smaller diamter stuff (under 12 lbs..). while it certainly isn't the most aerodynamic knot out there, it's easy to tie, particularly when the bite's on and i don't want to waste time, or my fingers are numb w/ cold... And i have YET to have a failure w/ this not on ANYTHING - mind you, i haven't been chasing the blue water big game species...
feiger

1 - 17 of 17 Posts