Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Speygods!

I like to tie my leaders myself and I got a few good formulas for singlehanders.

But, do any of you have a nice system for the twohander considering rod length, line weight and size of fly?

If I get this thing right a perfectly straight powerful yet delicate turnover is the way to fish most of the flies, slack reduced to a minimum to get the fly instantly moving in the current? Yet the fly must land nicely?

The leaders I use for the singlehander (Ritz) produce a slight slack "by default" and the turnover is a bit on the delicate side and optimized for small flies, so that system does not seem optimal for speywork.

I try the Vision 11,7 leader now and it works, but my experience from the SH is that shop-leaders usally get outperformed by custom ones. So, any good hints to share?

I like to roll and spey (of course), but I also would like the leader to behave smoothly in making an overhand cast.

Best Regards
Stefan

·
Registered
283 Posts
I often use Gary Selig's hand tied 12' Spey leaders but I've had some trouble with them using my Carron lines as the front taper is so fine and Gary puts a heavy butt on his leaders. In most water they're great, but sometimes you have that "greasy" water that can just pull your fly and leader in a dozen different directions while you wait for the D/V to fill.

I had a suggestion from a guide in Gaspe this year to just try 10' of straight 15 pound brown Maxima and all was well. All I had to do was match the tippet to the fly size and I was good to go.

Sometimes simpler is better.

-Chris

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,550 Posts
All of my full floater leaders are tied using a 60-20-20 percent formula. Usually it is 60% length of 30# Maxima Ultra Green then 20% of 15# and then 20% of a tippet. If you like Maxima you can go either 8 or 10# or whatever tippet is your preference. It also works well to go with either 25 or 20# for the butt section and then 15 or 12 for the mid. I have no problems with these on any of my cutback Jetstreams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all!

Thanks for your input!

speyrd, I tried the new Snowbee XS Extreme on the SH and it sure had a intergrated pre-leader of sorts. If the DH lines are built anywhere like that I am sure you are right about using level leaders.

Sinktip, the Ritz 60-20-20 formula is what I tried experimenting with so far. It should be the dogs bollocks but maybe I´ve used to thin materials? Trying again...going 0,70 mm for butt this time.

Wilson, Gary Selig's hand tied 12' Spey leaders, do you have a formula for those?

Willie Gun, with the current water levels here, even a floater sits too deep...:) I also use level leaders on the sinkers for the SH.

Sibbe, thanks! Any specific model?

Best Regards
Stefan

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Another 'vote' for the 60-20-20 if you want to keep it very simple. But one that hasn't been mentioned above (did I miss it?) is the 15' RIO spey leaders. Come in several tippet sizes and a JOY to cast.

Used to tie all my own (as in years and years) until Brian Yates gave me a few last year on the Chetco. Doubt I've tied more than a couple of my own since. They are that good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.