Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I had a spey rod built up. It is a 13'3" Rainshadow Blank. 4 pc 8wt with a grain window of 510 to 560
I have a 500 grain skagit. I went to the 1338 because the 7 had a grain window that maxed at 475.
Now.... I will be on some water soon to cast it or try to but I tried lawn casting and could NOT get a decent cast EXCEPT when I had the entire head on the lawn behind me. Then I can load and shoot it out great!
I am feeling disappointed like I may have to go purchase a new heavier line.
OR is it just that spey casting doesn't work in a the lawn? What do you guys say?
I should also mention this is my first spey reel, line and yadda yadda yadda...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Practice is much better and different on the water. Don't get too frustrated that the cast doesn't go out well on the lawn, you will do better once you have the water creating some stick to your anchor.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Find a pond or ditch.............not grass. I know that pain. So dependent on that sustained anchor! Keep the faith... you'll be fine.

Phil

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Don't sweat what is happening on lawn as you will find out it is nothing like being on water.

Honestly - I think 500 grains maybe a bit low for a 8 weight especially for someone casting their first two hander. BUT I have not cast that rod so...

It used to be customary for a beginner to start with a heavier line, or high in the grains window, with the intention backing off once he/or she got comfortable with the rod and the casts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I should bump up to a 525gr or even a 550?
Depending on how things go in the water tomorrow that is.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,254 Posts
probably better to give it a go on the water first.
remember, you have 500 gr + the weight of your sinktip, so you'll be in range for the rod.
Just go slow, easy, pretend you're aircasting. Get with some experienced folks and fish with them (pretend to fish and observe them closely:D)

It'll come.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Beau is right on, without a grass leader you really can't do any spey cast on the grass. You need to cast it on the water. Night and day difference.

That line might be a little light, too. Steve Godshall recommended a 550 to 630 grain Skagit for burgundy 1338-4 blank that a friend built up. That's just a starting point, however, you might find you like that 500 grain line just fine once you cast it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What he said.

Practice is much better and different on the water. Don't get too frustrated that the cast doesn't go out well on the lawn, you will do better once you have the water creating some stick to your anchor.
Same rod, same line and grass vs. water. TWO DIFFERENT worlds. Unless you have no choice, skip grass and go right to water to get 'The Feel.' Fly on end of leader ... but cut the point off for protection. WHACK!! on the back of your head is not a good thing.:tsk_tsk:

fae

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
For those (me too) who just can't help but cast on grass - try stepping on the leader next time out. If you are good at placing the anchor in close to you - many of the casts will put the leader where you can step on it to simulate the anchor for repeated casting. This has been the closest that I have found to spey casting without being on water.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Can't beat water anchoring for practice..

..but, when no suitable option is readily available, with the help of a "grass leader", I've had some good "dry" practice sessions keying on; form development, leader/line placement, weight change. Necessity is the mother of invention. :smokin:
Best.
Ed F.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
IMO Spey practice in lawn can make more harm than good to you but you could and should practice overhead casting in lawn. It helps your Spey casting when you concentrate improving using both hands, Drifting, making line loops controlled and narrower, release timing and line handling in fingers.

Esa

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you are going to lawn cast, then get SkagitMaster 1, and let Ed Ward walk you through the steps. Good way to learn the basic casts, and get a feel for the motions and you can pay attention to the details.

Getting on the water is a whole different world, but nevertheless the lawn work will have taught some muscle memory work on the basic moves.

Next get some lessons, nothing will teach you more than working with a good speycaster one on one or in a small group.

Its a lot of fun! Enjoy!

-Tony

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
When I got my first two hander I took the bottom section and stood in front of the tv watching videos, it helped remove the muscle memory of single hand casting.

IMO a sustained anchor cast is exactly that, I think it is completely and 500% useless to take a Skagit in the yard. On the other hand if you want to practice touch and go then you should tie up a grass leader and go at it... Again, my opinion

·
Registered
267 Posts
A grass leader is a good idea to provide some pivot point resistance for your forward stroke.
Casting on grass is really good mental practice for controlling your tip path, body, arm and hand positioning, and to learn gradual power application with late application of final power.
You will discover how too early and too hard power will cause you to 'blow' your anchor. It also serves to reinforce/learn the importance of timing vs. power.
Grass removes the variable of resistance and provides an increased opportunity to focus on technique. When your technique is good, the power requirement is lowered substantially. That's why the good casters make it look effortless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments and tips, I really appreciate it. So to update you all..... I managed to get out and cast this past week. My annual trip came up and I figured it was the perfect time to give it a go. Everything was just fine in the water and I hooked 2 fish too. My first 2 fish with a spey ever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts