Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took someone's advice here and checked out the Hardy JLH Golden Salmon, which has been discontinued and discounted up to 50%. Got mine a week or so ago, and though I haven't fished it yet, I've loaded it up with my 8/9 xlt, about 75 yards of backing (maybe more, but hard to say), and have tossed a few loops with my Burkie 13'9. Perfect balance. Had been using a Lamson LS 4 with that xlt, which seemed a tad big for that rod. Anyway, love the simplicity of the Hardy, and then there's that sound. I'm even looking forward to feeling a little out of control with that minimal click and pawl drag.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"I hear your Pain."

My lust is for the Hardy Gem reels; just don't/haven't figuredd out just how far Joan's level of humor will go.

It's an old married guy thing.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Debarb,

I'm not sure about the 13'9" Burkie, I have the 13'3" I wouldn't consider throwing a 8/9XLT for fear of the rod exploding. The 8/9 is a great match for my Sage 10151 and even better on my CND Salar.

andre

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andre,

You may be right; I notice, though, that Way Yin (I think I'm spelling his name correctly) "highly recommends" the 8/9 for the 1309, and the 7/8 for your 13'3". Remember, the 1309 is rated 7/8/9. The 8/9 seemed to underload my Scott 1509. Someone else on the board had lined the 1309 with the 8/9 and liked the results.

Fred, a man with 13+ (am I remembering right?) rods has a wife with a very, very liberal sense of humor. But wouldn't it be sad if you weren't even close to maxing it out and didn't know it? Be the Lewis and Clark of flyfishing accoutrement and get that gem! (said the young married guy, with a secret credit card hidden in the rabbit masks). Oh, and be sure and write.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Debarb,

Where in Oregon are you ? I would like to see how the 13'9" feels with the 8/9 if your out and around? I'm oping ot get out a few times around Christmas.

In in PDX

andre

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
DB, interesting you should bring up the Lewis and clark ..

web site. Just ordered a bunch of BowTyer materials from them. Will have to go back and peek at their web site vis a vis 'reels.' Do have one place I can get a Hardy Gem for about $250 USD in the UK .... but then it's another '$30'ish dollars for shipping.

With a new 'salary job' starting with Umpqua Bank on Monday, I think Joan will mellow out ....:devil:

Nuts, forgot to add: on the lining for the Burkie 7-8-9 two lines that work very well with this rod (same with Meiser new 7-8-9 configuration (have both) is the 7-8 XLT or the 7-8 Airflo long belly delta.
fae

1 - 7 of 7 Posts