Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane ......
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of pics of my latest build off of the bench. This rod is heading to Northern Idaho to an angler looking to swing thru the beautiful runs that this state has to offer. This rod is a 10' 6" for a 2 wt. Parabolic Trout Spey with a custom, long reel seat to fit this anglers vintage Hardy reels. This flamed rod is wrapped with Belding Corticelli "Pongee" coloured silk wraps, tipped with Pearsalls Java Brown silk. The reels seat is Black Walnut and the hardware is Lemke. The coffee Agate Stripping Guides come from Joe Arguello. This rod throws a 180 grain Scandi or a 210 grain Skagit, based on casting preferences. I hope you enjoy her, James ........ DavidLReidbamboo.com
#customcanerodsbydavidlreid #youonlyliveoncefishcane #troutspey #fishcane #swingyourfly
DSC_0434-01.jpeg
DSC_0430-01.jpeg
DSC_0438-01.jpeg

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
528 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my latest build off of the bench. This rod is heading to Northern Idaho to an angler looking to swing thru the beautiful runs that this state has to offer. This rod is a 10' 6" for a 2 wt. Parabolic Trout Spey with a custom, long reel seat to fit this anglers vintage Hardy reels. This flamed rod is wrapped with Belding Corticelli "Pongee" coloured silk wraps, tipped with Pearsalls Java Brown silk. The reels seat is Black Walnut and the hardware is Lemke. The coffee Agate Stripping Guides come from Joe Arguello. This rod throws a 180 grain Scandi or a 210 grain Skagit, based on casting preferences. I hope you enjoy her, James ........ DavidLReidbamboo.com
#customcanerodsbydavidlreid #youonlyliveoncefishcane #troutspey #fishcane #swingyourfly View attachment 381450 View attachment 381452 View attachment 381450 View attachment 381451 View attachment 381452 View attachment 381451
Congrats David....this is another elegantly crafted double hander.

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
528 Posts
#customcanerodsbydavidlreid #youonlyliveoncefishcane #troutspey #fishcane #swingyourfly View attachment 381450 View attachment 381452 View attachment 381450 View attachment 381451 View attachment 381452 View attachment 381451
Congrats David....this is another elegantly crafted double hander. I’m sure you are aware, but many spey anglers are not, that double hand rods are versatile casters and can fished in a variety of manners.
I have a number of vintage cane Hardy and Sharpes double handed dapping and switch rods that range from 10 to 13 feet but are excellent dry fly rods and can be over head cast as well as roll or spey cast. These longer rods are excellent at mending and leading a swinging fly, but are also useful for dapping, twitching, and popping an emerging dry fly and fishing it as a living insect.
I’m thinking that your rod is equally versatile and could be over head, rolled and spey cast and could deliver a size 16 dry fly as delicately as my 6’ 3” Midge rod. I think I’m talking myself into buying one of your light rods for dry and wet fly fishing for sea run speckle trout here.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

·
VIRTUTIS.GLORIA.MERCES
All things Cane ......
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats David....this is another elegantly crafted double hander. I’m sure you are aware, but many spey anglers are not, that double hand rods are versatile casters and can fished in a variety of manners.
I have a number of vintage cane Hardy and Sharpes double handed dapping and switch rods that range from 10 to 13 feet but are excellent dry fly rods and can be over head cast as well as roll or spey cast. These rods are excellent I’m thinking that your rod is equally versatile and could be over head , rolled and spey cast and could deliver a size 16 dry fly as delicately as my 6’ 3” Midge rod. I think I’m talking myself into buying one of your light rods for dry and wet fly fishing for sea run speckle trout here.
Thank You for the kind words - I’m just a call away ;) Dave 208.207.6749

·
Registered
631 Posts
smokin' grass dave ! :cool:
it is great to have craftsman who still know the value of good work and timeless results that happen when they really care about what they do and who they are .
keep 'em coming , it sounds like the audience wants more .
my planes are sharp , the 'boo is in the basement and my winter's project is highly anticipated ! your work is just fuel for my fire .
jim

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,317 Posts
It’s wonderful to see something that grew out of the soil made into a beautiful fishing tool that will out live all of us and hopefully be passed down to other generations. That’s heirloom quality stuff that is meant to be taken out and worked like a rented mule. 👊
C'mon G', call the number. You need on of these.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Not only are these bamboos gorgeous to look at and wonderful to fish, but David’s customer service is spot on. I think he’s asked me more questions concerning what I wanted, not wanted, or didn’t even know I wanted these last few builds then I could have imagined. A true craftsman. Definitely. And gorgeous stick btw! 😘

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
My check is going out Monday! I've worked my entire life with my hands and am left flat blown away when I went through Dave's website looking at the build process and the knowledge, care, time and exactness he puts into each and every one of his creations. Very much looking forward to fishing with a piece of art! Thanks Dave! - Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts