Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late to the Onyx 7129-4 game. Here is my review.

Most of you probably followed my journey from Burkie 7127-4 to the Beulah Onxy 7129-4.. Thank you GHalliday for loaning your rod for a test drive. Decided that I liked the 7129 better than the 7127 for summer work. It cast the 450 Rage and 450 Comp Scandi delightfully.

But…. in the back of my mind, I wanted to test it with sink tips and really heavy flies. My beloved winter rod is the Burkie 7134-4. Headed out last Sunday. It is still early in our season and the water was high so why not test the Onyx’s limits. Loaded up the Airflo FIST 510 with 10ft of level T14 and a big dumbbell eyed bunny leach. Giggled as I stepped into the river thinking “no way”.

Waddled my way to the head of the run. Stepped into the water during that light window where you don’t need a headlamp but its still dark. Fishy. Wiggled out several short “cover the close water” casts. Then started to let the horse run. Wow. The current was super strong and the fishing was marginal.

I didn’t give a ****: pleasant memories and muscle memory took over. Folks say the FIST can be awkward. Nope. Within five casts, the Onxy and I were sinked up. No ****. Boom. Seventy foot casts laying out straight before landing with a reel click. With this setup on day one? Yep.

Wish I could have given this review years ago. A true gem.

Cheers,

Jason

·
newcomer to spey casting
407 Posts
That's a strong testament to a great rod wielded with skill. Thanks for the review. It appears you have found "the match." 10 ft of T14 and a dumbbell bunny leech is quite a package to deliver...

·
Registered
541 Posts
They got it right when they designed the 7129 Onyx. They got it right with the 5124 as well.
Oh yeah GHalliday, I really like the new G2 12'0" 5 weight, but the Onyx 7129 and 5124 were my babies. I could be talked into selling the 7129 even though it is awesome, somebody would have a pretty damn thin wallet leaving my place if they could find the right price for me to let my 5124 go. Plus, there just are not that many around!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Oh yeah GHalliday, I really like the new G2 12'0" 5 weight, but the Onyx 7129 and 5124 were my babies. I could be talked into selling the 7129 even though it is awesome, somebody would have a pretty damn thin wallet leaving my place if they could find the right price for me to let my 5124 go. Plus, there just are not that many around!
The 7129 and 5124 that I have now are on the no sell list. The 7129 is a unique rod and one of my favorites but the 5124 really has no equal. It is basically driven by the same things as the 6126 Platinum (another sweet one) but it has a feel all its own and plenty off ass. Large or small trout? Yup. Summer runs? Yup. Smallmouth? absolutely. Or in my case while Im home golf course bass or sea trout. :love:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts