Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this tube is a copy of a dee from a buddy of mine...he gives me them to fish but i keep them !!! the tubes are a bit fatter then i like...

last but not least, whipped this up to keep in the good books..

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Beautiful ties, even to someone off tubes. In that connection, that last fly really jumps out. Wish I had a tighter view of that wing--can't quite make out all that's going on there.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's just a little married goose...I had built a nice argus, bustard and goose one and one side crapped the bed on me...so went with this one :grin2:

·
Administrator
19,127 Posts
Hilarious Kyle, I was gonna say the same thing. I think I see 9 pairs.:Eyecrazy:
The tenth pair is probably hanging from his pinky finger as he took the photos :hihi::hihi:
Talk about Edward Scissor Hands :chuckle::chuckle:

Nice Dee-tubes Paul :)
The married wing will find a few pulls, guaranteed !!!!

Mike

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Very cool.

Awhile back Speyducer posted about some smaller diameter tubes- he may have a source for something that would allow the slimmer look.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I guess when I get sick of turning bowls I'll have to build you a large decent box for these bugs. Think Hardy Fly reservoir size and style, yes, not exactly the kind of box you want to be schlepping to the river, but the type of box that will sit at base camp. I'd say you have arrived...no more ESLs and that is a good thing..the only problem you will have is trying to make your mind up what bug to swing and to stick with it..

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess when I get sick of turning bowls I'll have to build you a large decent box for these bugs. Think Hardy Fly reservoir size and style, yes, not exactly the kind of box you want to be schlepping to the river, but the type of box that will sit at base camp. I'd say you have arrived...no more ESLs and that is a good thing..the only problem you will have is trying to make your mind up what bug to swing and to stick with it..
Amen and since all i'm doing is practice casting with a fly on the few times out it has given me a chance to see what works and what doesn't...i'm finding i need to cull my love of hackle on a few...and that a turtle knot is needed on some of my smaller flies...

the Miss Grant variant had to thick of herron and never rode right, the bogeyroyd swam like a champ...I've actually been tying a classic version of the bogeyroyd now LOL!!! The funny thing is Ralf I haven't been able to see how they stick as the goddamn pecker fish (tiny guys) are all that seem to be around now...:crying:

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,127 Posts
Paul, probably one of the biggest hurdles we all have to over come when we start tying these vintage patterns is learning to be sparse.
Keep telling yourself, less is more and you will be fine. Now that you have noticed true displeasure with one of your flees that has been over hackled, you can truly appreciate that statement !! Probably one of the reasons I started omitting a palmered hackle through the body and just going with a two turn collar :hihi: I find they swim so much better and have become successful when swinging them.

Patience Padawan ... all good things will come to those who practice the ways of the elders :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paul, probably one of the biggest hurdles we all have to over come when we start tying these vintage patterns is learning to be sparse.
Keep telling yourself, less is more and you will be fine. Now that you have noticed true displeasure with one of your flees that has been over hackled, you can truly appreciate that statement !! Probably one of the reasons I started omitting a palmered hackle through the body and just going with a two turn collar :hihi: I find they swim so much better and have become successful when swinging them.

Patience Padawan ... all good things will come to those who practice the ways of the elders :smokin:

Mike
lol I'm learning, kills me though

·
Administrator
19,127 Posts
lol I'm learning, kills me though
And your doing great !!
Understanding fly design just takes effort with observing. Most flytyers go years and some never do know to take the time to observe their efforts where it really counts, in the water under hydraulic tension.

You are heading in the right direction Paul and your work looks great :)

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts