Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Spey Casters,
I was wondering how many of you use landing nets in order to help land, remove the hood, and maybe a quick picture? If so, what style or brand of landing nets have you found to be up to steelies and salmon? Many thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use a net.

I only fish alone and usually in deep water with no easy way out. Nets are essential for me. I use CF River Products nets.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Last guiding season I used a very good quality Frabill salmon net, with a rubber-coated mesh net. Best net I've ever used. I'm a believer in nets. Makes for a quicker landing, easier handling, and less stress on the fish.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you search on here, there are previous threads on this.

Lots of variations, and sizes available, and different opinions on a net.

I experimented with a net the past few seasons, and I am big believer in them in the hands of the right person. I havent used one solo, but I would conisder it for certain spots. They really arent that much of pain to carry, or strap to a raft. The biggest problem is forgetting them.....

I wouldnt skimp on th cheaper ones. Deffinatly get the most fish friendly, knotless, net to reduce the amount of slime removed. The slime removal is one the biggest negatives of the net. I am sure someone will chime in on that shortly.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Brodin Pere Marquette

I fish alone alot in many rivers that are bank to bank water with nowhere to beach fish. I use the Brodin Pere Marquette net. It is the nicer verision of the steelhead net they sell. It has a beautiful dark wood finish and nice large black net. The nice thing about it is, you can land a fish in the net, put the handle between your legs and work out the hook without getting your hands cold and wet, then find some slower water to revive and release your fish when it is ready. It also makes it nice to calm down the fish for a quick picture. In the last month I have landed a 10 lb lake run brown, several steelhead and one 6lb coho. I have landed a few kings up to 12 lbs. Its a great net.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This is the net I like to use , it's a Rushton , model is the babine , I think it's like 40 inches across , it will hold the biggest of steelhead , very well made , you can get them in fine mesh or rubber ,
Someone once told me the net was asked to be made for a lodge on the babine , I think that's how it came about ,

Just a wonderful net , costly but in my opinion , well worth it , easy on the fish to rest in , if I want a picture , I'll drop a rock in the net so it don't float away while I take my fish out for a picture

·
Registered
116 Posts
Biggest issue is finding a net large enough at a good price point. Im using a Grey's gs scoop large, its dipped rubber mesh.

I would say its too small for large steelies, but it easily fits 25" bulls.

At $40 its a great net, and makes me question the price points on several other models...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. I ordered a Salmon-Steelhead wading net (ST-2) from Loki Nets out of Knoxville Tenn. I tried to attach the pic, but it wants to include the entire catalog, so here's the URL: http://www.lokinets.com/library/LokiNets_Catalog_Web_1277916951.pdf Scroll down to page 9.

The net is 23” x 22” and the handle is 1" wide by 9" long. It goes for $40 give or take and the knotless, treated webbing is supposed to protect the fish slime well. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is the net I like to use , it's a Rushton , model is the babine , I think it's like 40 inches across , it will hold the biggest of steelhead , very well made , you can get them in fine mesh or rubber ,
Someone once told me the net was asked to be made for a lodge on the babine , I think that's how it came about ,

Just a wonderful net , costly but in my opinion , well worth it , easy on the fish to rest in , if I want a picture , I'll drop a rock in the net so it don't float away while I take my fish out for a picture

Gotta love this reply and photo - mean looking wading though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have loved using a net this past year... easier on the fish and haven't lost as many due to them not being able to take that last run or thrash at the beach.

I use a Moby net... Not exactly meant for steelhead (they are generally made for interior trout fishing in B.C.), but they haven't had problems so far fitting fish up to 14 pounds.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Babine Net

The babine net was designed for Pierce Clegg, former owner of Babine Norlakes lodge. Beautiful net.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts