Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year the number of steelhead anglers using Gammy/Owner short shank bait hooks seems to have increased significantly.

As a result landing percentage of fished hooked improved greatly.

My experience is that landing percentage jumped from 50% to 80%.

Bob Clay, who guides the Dean and Smithers areas estimates an increase from 50% to 80%.

Todd Stockner, who guides in the Smithers area estimates an improvement from 60% to 80%.

Two questions:
A. Do you agree there is increased use of these type hooks?
B. What is your estimate of the increase, if any, of the % of hooked fish that are landed?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Bob, I'm not sure if it's the ' bait hook' idea ...

or more the short shank idea.

For consideration: tube/waddingtons use a short shank ring eye hook and the number of fish I ' loose' with this type of hook is far less than a standard long shank hook of whatever kind.

Even in small flys, several I've been given were tied on a short shanked hook (regardless of the hooks 'size rating'); again, very few fish pop the hook, even down to size 12's.
fae

·
Registered
316 Posts
short shanks do hold better, it seems

I agree on the short shank hooks. I try to use the smallest reasonable shank in my steelhead tying. Apparently there is a lot more leverage of hooks in the long shank versions, and the long shanks may pop out I think when the fish does a quick reverse or other maneuver where the hook is pulled sideways. I was amazed at the size fish that you are able to land on very small hooks( size12 noraml wet fly hooks for example )in the TDF fishery where really small flies are very effective sometimes. Those TDF fish are very big fish and some are as rambunctious as the BC steelhead, but the small shorter shank hooks held well in my experience. The "circel" type hooks workedwell for me as well , although Iwas usingthem on a short piece of dacron backing off the back of the waddington shanks for the large flies.

·
fly on little wing
1,124 Posts
time to ponder

Now that I started thinking, I use mostly 3x or 2x short hooks and 3x or 4x long hooks, nothing in between. To be honest, I think the land/lost ratio is the about same. I use quality hooks and keep my hooks very sharp and if I get a good hook-set, the hook doesn't pop (only tippet) no matter how much head shaking.

hey Bob,
those little flies I sent you are used for steelhead. I think they were size 14 or size 16.

voodoofly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts