Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this reel? i have a Loop Evotec LW 8-12 that i superb butt i want an extra reel and a reel for a 15 footer.. Is the Lamson ok? i have "tested" the brake and it was very "evotec like"! :)

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I like the reel, but use it for my 13' 6wt, 7wt or 8wt rods at most. It's also a very good single-hand reel, but that's another story.

It's very light and doesn't balance much rod length, plus it doesn't hold very much spey line. Capacity is over 200 yards of 30# micron with a standard 9wt single-handed line, but if you spool on a mid-length spey line things get pretty tight.

Are you planning on using spey heads or shorter head lines (windcutter)? If so you are probably OK with micron but it's still a small reel for a 15' rod.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im gonig to have Ken Sawada shootingline + shooting heads on my reel... is Velocity 4 to small?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Lamson Velocity whit out line weighs about 249g and the evotec lw about 190g. its 60g differnt...

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
No it's plenty big to hold shooting line and heads, capacity wise. I guess the final question is balance point and aesthetics of such a small reel for a 15 ft rod.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've got a Litespeed 4 which balances a Scott 1509 nicely; holds plenty of backing and the 9-10 Airflo Delta Long with no problem. A little heavier (I think) than the Velocity, but it costs a little more. Same drag. A little more expensive, unfortunately. I tend to fish with very heavy tippet (never below 15 lb. even for 6-10 lb. steelhead), and relatively heavy drag, so the fish rarely get into my backing in any case. Depends on what you're fishing obviously.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
AirFlo and Space

Remember that AirFlo lines take up less space than those from RIO, etc because of the way they are made. In fact, this can be a good reason to go AirFlo for some people, in addition to slickness and a five year guarantee against cracking.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Delta or Long?

Peter
Was that the delta or long delta? Those are a little different in the front taper and I am wondering if you get the same good turn over with the delta and long delta.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts