Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone using the Speedster HD 3.5 as their spey reel? Do you like it? I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing one for my Beulah 7 and 8 wt. platinum rods.

Does it have enough capacity for typical Skagit or Scandi set up? Lamson lists a spool capacity of WF9 and 200 yards 20 backing.

The 4.0 seems over kill size wise for those rods. Opinions?

Thanks--John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reel size

John: Would go with a 4.0 or higher. A Lamson 3.5 will not give you the capacity or weight to effectively balance the rod. I have made this mistake and know another who has done the same. Lamsons are great reels- go for the bigger sizes for two handed rods. I do use a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 on a single hand 8wt- works great for single hand casting but is too small and light for a two handed rod. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John: Would go with a 4.0 or higher. A Lamson 3.5 will not give you the capacity or weight to effectively balance the rod. I have made this mistake and know another who has done the same. Lamsons are great reels- go for the bigger sizes for two handed rods. I do use a Lamson Litespeed 3.5 on a single hand 8wt- works great for single hand casting but is too small and light for a two handed rod. Hope this helps.
Thanks Zub,

That does help. I looked at the Lamsons again tonight, and now I have to agree.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd agree with others. My first setup was a Lamson Konic 3.5 with a ECHO TR 7130 and it never really balanced out. Granted, your Beulahs will likely be a little lighter, but still the 4 will suit your needs much better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I like a unanimous opinion! :)

The 4.0 Speedster is really huge appearing with that big diameter. Has any one out there used it? Do you like the fast retrieve?

I like to use the magnet hood/roof rod holders transporting from hole to hole. A fellow might have to turn the rod sideways so the is enough clearance for the reel and the hood.

I didn't measure it, just wondering out loud. --John

·
Registered
13 Posts

Im a bit of a reel whore lol, I have Abel's , Bauer & Hatch ( single hand ) and 5 different Lamson reels. I love the Speedster, it balances my 5116 one perfectly, the drag is a monster, and it palms really well. In my opinion the only thing I would like better about it was if it was the same color as my ARC as I prefer black to silver lol. For the $ I don't think you can find a better reel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts