Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone care to comment on what, if any, differences exist between the ULA and the Litespeed, other than the slight difference in weight of same-size models and the obvious difference of appearance?
I love the look of the ULA, but don't know if I want to drop the extra $$$ for the minimal difference in weight (LS 2 is $275; ULA 2X is $365).

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have them both and love them both, but as you said, the ULA probably has the most spectacular appearance. Neither is a poor buy. Note that there is also coming a new very interesting looking Lamson Velocity model this year (LA design), probably still cheaper than the Litespeed. As far as I know, they all have the same great brake system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I understand the Lite Speeds are being discontinued and some place have them on sale ... I just bought a LS4 (4") reel ... $345 for $227 USD ... I like it already and I don't even have a line on it yet.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
flyfisha1 said:
Would anyone care to comment on what, if any, differences exist between the ULA and the Litespeed, other than the slight difference in weight of same-size models and the obvious difference of appearance?
I love the look of the ULA, but don't know if I want to drop the extra $$$ for the minimal difference in weight (LS 2 is $275; ULA 2X is $365).
Fly Fisha, From what I have been told, aside from the radical differences in appearence, the ULA has some titanium parts that keep weight a bit lower and the price much higher. The drag on each is identical. My .02 would be why pop for the "unobtanium" when the Litespeed would offer the same performance and nearly the same weight.:cool:

·
Banned
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it's all in the looks of the thing. I own a Litespeed for my Spey rod, was looking into the ULA for a 5-wt. because I think it looks so cool. I'll have to keep my eyes open on ebay for a slightly used ULA 2X.
Thanks for the info; I had a feeling that there was no real difference between the two series'.

·
Geezer
6 Posts
"Where did you find it at that price?"

Chris,

I bought one here
steelheadsite.com/classified/messages/5945.shtml]
Bob

edited the hyperlinks out of your post to reflect forum rules around hyperlinks to non-sponsor sites

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the reel for Christmas after I wrote down all the information and dropped my wife off at Bass Pro Shop in Pontiac, Michigan.

They had them on clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently traded my Loop evotec 6-Nine LW, for a ULA 3.5... What a reel... It's like an oil drum, with a handle :D

Great for saltwater work and worth going the extra £/$, over the litespeed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Litespeed was revamped, not discountinued. Check mrfc.com or sierratradingpost.com. They had some litespeed 4 on discount, go with the guide finish. Same price harder finish. Both reels have the same drag. They state in their catalog that the Litespeed 4 was taken from the ULA. The ULA do carry that sex appeal, though. But I don't see the need for the extra cash for functionality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First, Waterworks did NOT discontinue the Litespeed product line. The Lightspeeds on sale now are the original models with the Type III anodized finish. The new Lightspeeds weigh even less than the originals due extensive porting and they have the new “Hard-Alox” anodization. Next, the Litespeeds use the same internal conical drag and Torrington roller clutch systems as the ULA. The difference between the ULA and Litespeed, besides design looks, is the ULA has a titanium arm-style body and foot assembly. The Litespeed has NO titanium parts.

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts