Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a follow-up question on my search for a sweet casting "light" spey rod specifically for dry line work, one with a more traditional action and one that will be used on small (John Day) to medium size (N. Umpqua) rivers.

The Lamiglas rods just may be the ticket from what I've read and heard. They sound like they're extremely well built and have nice components. My question is, what is the main difference between the 1256 and 1357, besides line wt? How much different do these rods feel in the hand and are there advantages/disadvantages to one over the other. Also, just in case I'm on a river where pigs lurk, will the 1256 be too light to handle a writhing, leaping mass of chromage (15-20 lbs)?

One last question: where are these babies available to test cast?

Thanks for the input..

BFR

·
Registered
439 Posts
differences

Will try to answer some of your questions about the two rods. The 12'6' rod has been my favortie dry line summer run rod for several years. You will be in for a good fight if you caught 10/20 lbs of chromage.
Don't know which is slower the 7136 or the 1357. There must be a use for these rods some where.
Speyrd aka Leroy......................

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
speyrd,

Thanks for the info. Which line do you use with this rod?

BFR

·
Registered
439 Posts
line

I used an last years model of a 5/6 windcuttter, which had a head weight of 330 grains or there abouts. Some of my friends that have the rod use an 11wt WF single handed line or 7 wt DTs. Possibly a Steelhead taper would work also.
Good luck,
Leroy...........................

·
Registered
184 Posts
Another question...

I'd like to make a semi rod(there's nothing of the kind in our shops) to try a short skagit in VERY limited places. So I find Lamiglas ECT 909. Tried it with an original butt- now making another- longer a bit.
But I wonder what rings Lamiglas put on the rod? So thin and delicate, so springy... And tip ring is very strange at first glance. Tube with clued in spring.
Can anyone tell what are the rings they use? Can original rings damage the line or they are to depend on?

·
Registered
869 Posts
It sounds like those are titanium recoil guides. loomis and winston use them, they are tough and very light. winston did have some trouble with the tip tops comming apart (hoop pulling out of sleeve) and now they use standard tips with the rest recoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts