Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just arrived! passed the front porch wiggle test and the living room carpet deflection test with flying colors. beautiful blank, top-notch corkwork, light as a feather, and the 6-piece blank fits inside a 34" tube. very cool.

After Sage discontinued its 10140 savvy anglers started looking around for 2nd hand rods or a suitable replacement. I'm thinking I might have just found it.

This one has home run written all over it. I'll put it through its paces over the next few weeks and let you know if it clears the fence.

Leroy, let's talk. I want to learn more about this new stick.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fits!

Hi Leroy!

Fits the reel seat fine. It has the alloy foot which fits into all of the speys I've tried so far.

Actually, the fit of the reel foot was probably the major factor in determining what vintage I selected. I have the 3 Marquis Salmon reels and the only one I can regularly fish is the #1 because the feet on the #2 and #3 are too big for the seats on most of my speys. I think I'm going to get them reshaped by a master machinist friend of kush's so that I can enjoy them rather than leave them on the shelf.

As for balance, I don't worry too much about that factor when it comes to two-handers. For me it is less an issue than with single hand rods. Basically if I want to fish a reel with a particular rod I just go ahead and do it.:)

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Dana,
Been playing with the 14ft for about a month now.
Took it to the Rouge for the Meiser Master, Fred and J.D. to play with and got some good reports.
I have been busy hounding them to become a sponcer so I talk on the new rod.

Leroy, you are right about the Long Deltas they really make this baby rock.

:smokin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reel Foot

Dana,
if your friend is a good machinist you might just get a couple of new feet machined.

Todd

·
Registered
439 Posts
reel foot

Hi Dana, Not knowing any machinist then I took a round file to the bottom of the foot, took of a few thousands off and re-finished the bottom of the foot.
Balance is that big of a issue with me either.

Leroy..................................

·
Banned
161 Posts
Lines for the CST141011-6

What lines are folks using on this rod. I seem to notice that the CSTs do not like to be underlined. The 12'9" 8/9 was no fun with a WC 8/9/10, but with a WC 9/10/11 it is a great stick.

I put on MS 10/11 on the 14' 10/11, but didn't like the way it loaded up. It really only started to load after all of the head and 10' running line were out. Any thoughts on other line choices?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Lines for both

Starting from shortest to the longer for the 12'9" rod, Hardy Mach 1, Airflo Long Delta 9/10, Airflo Trad Spey 9/10, 10/11, xlt 8/9
and Mastry Salmon Spey 8/9.
On the 14' Cortland 10/11 Can A Tip Spey, Airflo Trad 9/10, 10/11,
XLT 9/10.
Aaron has done some work with both rods maybe he will chime in.
Speyrd AKA Leroy......................

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
These are two very fine rods

I have been working with them at My Saturday Sessions for about two months now.
I have been working with both the 8/9 and 9/10 Long Deltas and Midspeys on the 12’9” rod. The 8/9 Scandinavian Versa tips and the 10/11 Loop Adapted line. The rod is at home with weights from 600 grains to 700 grains.
The 14 ft is an accepts quite a few lines in the 10/11 weight class.
I have been working with these lines 11 wt Wulff taper, 9/10 ,and 10/11 Long Deltas and Midspeys, 10/11 Traditional, the 7/8 Grandspeys, and the XLT 8/9.
I have been working with the Rio Scandinavian Versa tip in the 10/11.
The rod seems to devours lines in the 750 to 900 gains.

Note,
I have just scatted the barrel on both these rods when it comes to lines.

:smokin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts