Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a complete salmon fishing novice, but in a few weeks I'm going to the Canadian shore of Lake Superior to fish some of the big tributaries for salmon and steelhead. I'd like to pick up at least a basic selction of flies before I leave. Of course I'll be using the local shops once I'm there, but I hate showing up without at least a starter selection of the heavy hitters.

What are the "go to" patterns AND sizes for fall salmon and steelhead on the Canadian tributaries to Lake Superior?

I know the list could be endless, but as with trout fishing there must be the salmon equivilent of the GRHE, Pheasant Tail, Prince, Adams, and so on.

Thanks for your help.

Grouse

·
Registered
267 Posts
Fly Selection

I am not sure what type of equipment you intend to use up there but here are a few starter flies that work great on the GL tribs. Marabou speys in white, orange, black, blue and mulitple combinations of these colors. Some of the others that work great are green butt skunks and bears in black and purple. I hope this helps........... Good Luck and Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Fly Selection

ChromeFever said:
I am not sure what type of equipment you intend to use up there but here are a few starter flies that work great on the GL tribs.
Thanks CF. I hate to admit this, but I'll be fishing with a plain old 8 weight Legend Ultra. Willie Gunn is giving me speycasting lessons via email, but I'm not sure we'll get far enough in two weeks. . .

Grouse

1 - 3 of 3 Posts