Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe everyone knows that this company is gone. What I can't believe is that no one is going to continue the business?

Does anyone out there know the history behind this company and why it's just vanishing?

I can't find anything on the net.

KC

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I understand the owner passed away and that's it?!

I got in touch with Hareline and yes they are selling off what they have then that's it.

WTF

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess from the response of the thread no one really gives a rats ass about it?

Except you and me Brood Dude!

I really love this material and thought they were above the rest of the others. The quality was always top notch and the price be it high was worth it in my opinion. I'm sure there are others out there that will argue the point but I for one am very sad that they are going.

I have been stock piling and buying up what I can but sooner or later the last strand will come to hand and one last lucky fish will be the winner of the Lagartun trophy.

Sad, sad, sad to say the least.

What amazes me is the lack of information that you can find on the company.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was going to try out some of their oval for the first time on my last order to Caddis in Oregon and all they had left was the XS. I also wanted to try some of their mini flat braid in the chartreuse for a low water GBS, but it has been impossible to find. Guess when I find it I need to buy it all.

·
Spey Fool
93 Posts
I found this address and number if thats any help to you.
Lagartun Ltd
16741 S Old Sonoita Hwy
Vail, AZ 85641
520-762-5900

Looks like they were connected with a french company that made embroidery materials and they repackaged the tinsels for flytying in the US. I hope someone takes up the connection and starts distributing the stuff again. I need some medium oval :)

Tim

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know very curious indeed? I would like to try and buy the dies for some of this stuff. This would make a great addition to my business.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,040 Posts
Buisness

Fly tying supplies compliments existing

oooh do tell

·
Registered
879 Posts
Just stocked up...about 10 spools of each, small and fine, in both gold and silver. I have enough bigger stuff in vintage tinsel to last, plus I'm fine with using Veevus in the future.

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never tried the Veevus material how does it compare with Lagartun? I guess I might just start looking for a good substitute?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Never tried the Veevus material how does it compare with Lagartun? I guess I might just start looking for a good substitute?
I haven't used it for very long. I just bought a few spools a couple of weeks ago, just to try it. It seems like it's good quality. It seems like it lays a little bit flatter than the Lag, though maybe I'm just imagining that. You can pull pretty hard on it without the tinsel separating from the core. Though, if I can get Lag for a good price, I'd just assume use that until I run out (which should take a while).

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Some time ago, I went straight to the source....;)

but couldn't get copper, so Lagartun 'branded' on smaller spools in that colour....

Mike

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
this sucks when I quit tying and sold all my tinsel like 200 spools. now I started tying again I have 5 spools 3 oval 2 flat and the people I buy from are out. so all you hoarders of tinsel wont to sell or trade PM ME

Rocky

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
I am not too happy about this. Lagartun has been my tinsel of choice for many years. I prefer metallic tinsels for the majority of my tying. I do use Mylar in a few flies but for the classics I do like the traditional tinsels. The sad thing for me is I have a tendency to waste tinsel. I always clip off more than I need. I use more silver than gold for some reason and more oval than flat. The two tinsels I will have a hard time living without are small silver oval and small silver flat. If anyone has a surplus of small flat in silver, I would be up to some bartering. Looking at the bright side, it will force me to be more creative.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts